NBC Meets The Future

TECHNOLOGY UPDATE

By Eugene Koh

Finally, television network NBC stepped into the future yesterday with the introduction of "NBC Online," an interactive online supplement to its regular programming.

NBC's entry onto the information superhighway allows users to obtain the latest information about the stars and content to the network's shows, delver into NBC's multimedia applications and meet network personalities on-line.

The new product is available via America Online, an company which provides interactive services.

Conan O'Brien '85, host of NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien," is scheduled to be NBC Online's first live guest this evening at 8 p.m. in NBC's online auditorium."

Apple Computer is getting ready to market its next major System Software upgrade, System 7.5 Current users of Macintosh and Power Macintosh computers will likely be able to upgrade to the new system in early fall.

System 7.5 will offer built-in support for TCP/IP networks. For Harvard students connected to the High Speed Data Network, this means that their Macintoshes will able to recognize the network without the help of additional software without the help of additional software from HASCS.

Other highlights of System 7.5 include "QuickDraw GX," an improved imaging architecture; a new version of Finder that allows for automation of common tasks such as disk backup; and "Apple Guide," a new help system that walks the user step by-step through unfamiliar applications.

The new Apple system software is set for public introduction in August at MacWorld Expo in Boston. Users purchasing Macintoshes or PowerBooks during the fall semester will likely receive System 7.5 as the built-in system software.

If you're annoyed at the clicking of laptop computers in the library, prepare yourself for a double whammy. IBM and Apple are both rumored to be releasing new portable computers this month.

Computer journals report that IBM will release a new series of Think Pad laptops within the month: the 755, 355 and 510. The new line is based on the ThinkPad 750, widely regarded as the standard of reference for portable computing.

In particular, the new 755 will incorporate the 750's brilliant 10.4-inch active matrix screen technology as well as integrated audio for multimedia applications. Buyers of the 755 will be able to outfit their machine with either Intel's 50 MHz 486DX2 or 75 MHz 486DX4 microprocessors, the fastest of their kind.

The ThinkPad 355 is said to be based upon the 750's modular design, offering board and easy upgradability.

All three new ThinkPads will continue to offer IBM's new mouse technology--in which usurers point on a fingertip sensitive pad to move the cursor--rather than the trackballs used in most portable computers.

Despite the overhaul of IBM's widelyregarded portable computer series, no major pricing changes are expected. So for those of you considering the purchase of an IBM portable, hang in there for a few more weeks.

At the same time, Apple is rumored to be revamping its wildly successful PowerBook series to use newer Motorola 68LC040 CPU technology, rather than the PowerBook for the past two years.

Due to the popularity of the PowerBook series on-campus at Harvard, we will delay reporting on the new computers until we can offer concrete rather than rumored specifications--so keep your eyes peeled for the next edition of "Technology Update."

Eugene Koh '97 reports periodically on issues concerning information technology. He can be reached at The Crimson by calling 495-9666.