A Receptive, if Less Than Dynamic Dean

The Crimson Staff

Dean L. Fred Jewett's announcement that he will step down after nine years as dean of the College and 40 years at Harvard is the most recent in the series of changes in the top administration. Jewett has served as dean of the College since 1985 and has filled that position longer than anyone since World War II. He has been a model dean in some areas, such as involving students in administrative decisions, but has often been less than ideal when handling controversial matters.

The announcement of his departure has been met with sadness by a broad spectrum of students on campus, a somewhat unusual reaction considering the wrath that administrators can face form the student body. Though it may not come as a surprise that Undergraduate Council President Carey Gabay '94 lauded Jewett (calling him an "uncle" figure), the praise form Dennis C. Lin' 94, former co-chair of the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Students Association is an indication of the broad admiration for Jewett.

Much of this admiration must stem form Jewett's commitment to involving students in College matters. He was instrumental in involving students in the search for a new freshman dean and was the main impetus behind the creation of the Students-Faculty Disciplinary Committee, a body that serves as an alternative to the Ad Board.

Jewett has also worked extensively with the Civil Liberties Union of Harvard and has considered reports from them on a number of the Most visible campus issues.

In listening to students, Jewett has in many ways been a terrific dean. He said last week that he hopes to be remembered as one who "had his office open to students." It seems he will.

Yet Jewett hasn't always done a capable job. His style of management has sometimes neglected hot issues on campus or left their handling to others.

This avoidance of the spotlight is most obvious on race relations, an issue that has caught up many an administrator in the center of campus controversy. Jewett did little when the issue was on his plate, and many believe that his inaction was part of the reason that Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III was appointed as Harvard's race czar in September of 1992.

When controversy has landed at Jewett's feet, his style has been to compromise. Comments by Jewett himself in 1989 helped to force the versy issue of date rape onto his agenda. having helped to create the controversy though, Jewett managed it so slowly and deliberately that by the time the Ad Broad issues a report on the topic, many had forgotten the original issue.

One of the most recent issues Jewett has dealt with has been the turmoil in Dunster House, Where the master was charged with unfair hiring practices and with intimidating those in the House who opposed him. as dean of the college, the matter was investigated, but never issue a promised report.

Most recently, Jewett shaped, a compromise: Co-Masters Karel and Hetty Liem will be back next year, but their positions will likely be evaluated in two years instead of the customary five.

With the departure of Jewett, the College will lose a capable and competent administrator who often had his door, and ears, open to students. His penchant of compromise and delay seem to come with the office of a College dean.

Nonetheless, when a successor is found, we hope he or she will be able to combine Jewett's receptivity with more dynamic leadership.