Again, Family Lore Helps Kennedy

By Jeffrey N. Gell, Special to The Crimson

WORCESTER, Mass.--As Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 accepted his party's renomination at the state convention here Friday night, delegates were reminded why they love him, even in non-election years.

Kennedy would have liked the reason to be the pork he brings home. But for most, it was the family form which he comes.

Throughout his 22-minute presentation at the Centrum, Kennedy hinted at the general election campaign to come by enumerating his accomplishments, particularly government contracts and projects he has brought home to his constituents.

"As your Senator, I have fought and will continue to fight for the jobs of Massachusetts," Kennedy said. "From the new Genzyme biotech plant in Boston, to the FDIC offices in Westborough and Franklin, to the DFAS facility in Southbridge, to Martin-Marietta in Pittsfield, to other plants and other places across this Commonwealth, I am proud to have been involved in decisions that have directly saved and created thousands of Massachusetts jobs."

And Kennedy's choice of music, Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel, also brought home the theme of pounding away to help Massachusetts.

In contrast to prominent speeches in the past, including his 1992 Democratic National Convention address, Kennedy mentioned his family only in passing and made no reference to his two slain brothers--President John F. Kennedy '40 and Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy '48.

And Kennedy omitted a mention of his 104-year-old mother, Rose, that had originally been included in his script, when he delivered the speech.

Jim Manley, Kennedy's deputy press secretary in Washington, said last month that downplaying the family mystique in consistent with the Senator's re-election strategy.

But if this weekend's convention appearance is any indication, that may not be the best strategy. The largest applause of the address came when members of his extended family--including nephews Robert F. Kennedy Jr. '76 and John F. Kennedy Jr.--joined him at the podium.

And no matter what strategy his handlers employ, Kennedy cannot escape the family lagacy that many has say has helped keep him in office for six terms.

At a reception at the Marriott Hotel after the convention, Kennedy relied on his family history as much as his legislative history to appeal to the nearly 2,000 people who filled the hotel's ballroom and spread into its halls.

As Sly and the Family Stone's "We Are Family" played in the background, Kennedy and members of his family walked into the room to greet the crowd.

"Let me thank my children, nieces, nephews for being here," Kennedy said at the reception. "It was really a family affair. This has always been something that has brought us all together.

At the celebration, John F. Kennedy Jr., a New York attorney, delighted the crowd by shaking hands and hugging members of the audience while much of his family stood still on stage.

Indeed, when the son of President Kennedy entered the ballroom, the applause was so great that Sen. Kennedy's campaign manager, Michael L. Kennedy '80 (another son of Robert Kennedy) took to the microphone to remind the crowd that the party was for the senator.

"You better make that louder when the senator is introduced," Michael Kennedy said.

Several convention delegates said Kennedy's convention presentation was extremely impressive.

But for some people, Kennedy's family connections, not his voting records, make him memorable.

Paul F. Toner, a Cambridge teacher, said John F. Kennedy Jr.'s presence at campaign appearances will help Kennedy broaden his base of support--at least in some demographic groups.

"John John is going to get the [votes of the] younger females," Toner said.

And Cambridge City Councillor Timothy J. Toomey said Kennedy's family connections will always ramain regardless of his campaign strategy.

"It helps [to be a Kennedy]," Toomey says. "It always will no matter how much time goes by."