Faculty Elects 7 To Council

First Contested Vote In Several Years

By Tara H. Arden-smith

The Faculty Council announced last week the election of seven new members, who will begin their three-year terms when the council reconvenes in the fall.

Because there have been so few faculty nominations in recent years, the council has had to supplement the nominations with its own picks to complete the slate of candidates.

This year, however, the council was comparatively glutted with nominees, according to Secretary to the Faculty Council John B. Fox Jr. '59, resulting in the first contested election in several years.

The faculty elected Professor of English and American Literature and Language Daniel G. Donoghue, Associate Professor of History Ellen Fitz- Patrick, professor of Fine Arts Joseph L.Koerner, Assistant Professor of Psychology CynthiaF. Moss, Associate Professor of History Susan G.Pedersen, Gray Professor of Systematic BotanyDonald H. Pfister and Loeb Associate Professor ofthe Social Sciences Mary C. Waters.

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles, whochairs the 18-person advisory group, said he wasquite pleased with the faculty's apparentlyrenewed interest in University governance.

"I look forward to working with thisintellectually engaged group of colleagues," hesaid. "And I am especially happy that they wereselected more actively by their peers."

Professor of Sociology Thad Skocpol, who willleave the council after completing a three-yearterm, said that despite the lack of nominations inprevious elections, this year's council has beenone of the most active in recent memory.

And Knolls lamented the loss of some councilmembers whose input have shaped his proposalsthroughout his three years as dean.

"I am saddened at losing some keen advisorswhose active engagement and diverse opinions onimportant and controversial issues have made thisone of the most valued councils ever," Knowlessaid.

Many of the council members elect said theywere excited to begin their work and hoped todirectly influence the quality of education andlife at Harvard.

But many added that they had a lot to learnabout University governance first.

"I think that this is a position that can havereal consequence," Donoghue said. "And I hope alsoto gain an understanding of how Harvard reallyworks for this experience."

Pfister, who has previously served on variousfaculty committees, characterizes serving on theFaculty Council as a broad from of service to theUniversity, compared to the more specificallyfocused work of the committees.

Pfister, the co-master of Kirkland House, saidhe expects "to hear and read and learn and knowmuch more about the intricacies of policy issuesat Harvard" by the time his term is through.

That the main benefit cited by newly-electedmembers is expected to be increased knowledge ofUniversity issues rather than increased influenceover them is perhaps no mistake.

Donaghue said he does not think the averagefaculty member at Harvard has much power to effectchange, even as a member of a group such as theFaculty Council.

"We are going to be an advisory body, not abody that decides or defines policy." he said.

Other future members said they simply don'tknow what effect their efforts will have.

"I don't think I can appreciate the full scopeof what the council does at this point," Mosssaid.

Skocpol said the most important result of hertime on the council was her chance to "get to knowfaculty from other disciples and talk aboutimportant issues."

"I don't know that we actually decidedanything," Skocpol added.

One returning council member, Professor ofClassic and History Christopher P. Jones, said hewas happy to work with the new members and hopesthey are as active as their predecessors.

Jones, who has two years left in his councilterm, said he thinks this year's contestedelection will help ensure as ideologically diversea council as the one whose session ended lastmonth.

"Some of the new members I know as departmentalcolleagues and I very much look forward to workingwith them," he said. "They exhibit a widespectrum of intellectual approaches and I knowthat they will speak their minds."

Faculty Council members are elected accordingto a version of the Hare proportionalrepresentations system, used since the council wascreated in 1969.

Under council rules, representation must beevenly divided between tenured and non-tenuredfaculty, and between faculty in the humanities,social sciences and natural sciences