Logan Airport to Be Modernized

$1.2 Billion Project Designed to Increase `User-Friendliness'

By Todd F. Braunstein

If a $1.2 billion airport improvement project meets its stated goals, Harvard students of the 21st century will arrive to and depart from a more efficient and passenger-friendly Logan Airport.

According to a recently-released Massachusetts Port Authority statement, the Logan of the future will future terminal upgrades, improved ground access and a new fuel distribution system.

Upon arriving at the airport, students will find more modernized terminals . Terminal E, the international terminal, will be reconstructed by 1998 with a new Customs and Immigration Faculty and more convenient ticketing.

And Terminal A, the old Eastern Airlines Terminal, will be completely revamped.

People Moving

In an effort to help those lugging baggage around the airport, Massport is installing a people mover system to link all the terminals, both to each other and to the airport T station.

And students wishing to save a few bucks will no longer have to lug their bags from the Red Line to the Green Line to the Blue Line for the airport stop.

Massport is constructing a remote passenger terminal at South Station. There, students will be able to purchase tickets, check their bags and hope on a shuttle bus directly to their airline terminal.

Driving away will also be more convenient, as Massport aims to upgrade ground access.

The modernization of Logan will include a new roadway system that connects with the Third Harbor Tunnel. This roadway will be wider and longer--and hence safer, the statement says.

Massport will also construct a new 5,700 spaceon-site parking garage, in what the statement saysis an effort to consolidate public parking.Construction is scheduled to begin this year inpreparation for a 1996 completion. The newfacility will cost $130 million

Airfields

On the airfields, the fuel distribution systemwill be consolidated and upgraded by 1998 to"conform to the highest environmental standards,"according to the statement.

Specific changes include the installation ofenvironmentally safe pipe lines, the replacementor elimination of many existing airfield pipelinesand the upgrading of the sub-pavement hydrantaircraft refueling system.

A new airfield rescue and firefighting complexis also slated for construction. Several hanger,maintenance and service facilities will bemodernized or replaced entirely

Airfields