Police Arrest Alleged Abuser

By Todd F. Braunstein

Harvard Police arrested a man over the weekend for assault and battery with intent to murder.

Yong M. Yoon, 30, was taken into custody Saturday at about 5 p.m. after police received word that he was allegedly beating his wife.

Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said this week that police were sent to 2 Peabody Terrace, Apartment 303, where they "found the female crying and distraught."

According to the Cambridge Police report, Eunmi Song had a "scratch mark and bruise under her left eye."

The report says that Song initially claimed that her husband struck her in the face.

According to the report, Yoon said that in themidst of a verbal argument, her spouse had become"very upset and struck her."

At this point, the report said, Yoon was placedunder arrest.

Song corroborated Yoon's story, according tothe report, but added that in an attempt to fleethe apartment, Yoon had wrestled her to theground.

Song said Yoon then choked her until she almostlost consciousness, according to the report.

Somehow, Song said, she managed to break free from her husband's grasp and fleethe apartment, the report said.

But during that time, Song told the police,Yoon kicked her in the back of her left thigh.

And throughout the assault, Song said, herhusband "kept repeating that he was going to killher," according to the police report.

Yoon was transported to the University Policefor photographs and fingerprinting. He wasultimately transported to the Cambridge PoliceDepartment for holding.

The officer making the arrest called Judge AnnGibbons, who issued an emergency 209A restrainingorder, Johnson said.

That restraining order will expire on August29, Johnson said.

Edward F. Mulkerin III contribut ed to thereporting of this story.