Undergraduate Council Presidential Race Seems Familiar

News Analysis

By Sarah J. Schaffer

After last semester's Undergraduate Council hijinks--an illegally taped phone conversation, an invalidated referendum, a final meeting marked by five resignations--some people might think it's time for a change.

But change could be slow in coming to the council. The two most serious presidential hopefuls for the October election, assuming they are re-elected to the council, are former council vice president Joshua D. Liston '95 and former council secretary Brandon C. Gregoire '95.

Another contender could be former Student Affairs Committee Chair Hassen A. Sayeed '96, who resigned with a wave and a flourish at the council's last meeting.

Anjalee C. Davis '96, who took a leave of absence spring semester but nevertheless helped administer the council's second referendum, might also be a major player this fall if she returns to the council.

Liston said this week that he is optimistic about prospects for the new year.

"I think my strength will be the vision I have for the council," he said. "What I would like to see is a mix of events and political issues. I think the council will be much more in-your-face."

Liston said he thinks the council used to be more political, taking a stand on issues such as ROTC and South African divestment. Liston said he believes the council lost its focus on issues beginning in 1992, with the presidency of David Aronberg '93.

He traced the shift to a doubling of the term bill fee to $20 in 19??. Instead of involving itself in issues, he said, the council started holding massive events such as last year's Yardfest, "They Might Be Giants" concert and David Spade comedy show.

"Last year, we didn't really touch anything," Liston said. "What we sacrificed were issues that would get students involved."

Liston would like to see the council become more of a forum for student concerns.

"If there's a student group who feels they've been wronged by another student group or by the administration--an issue that the group thinks is worthwhile," then that group should be able to take their gripe to the council, Liston said.

He suggested that the council and interested students could discuss an issue and then write a resolution on it for public record.

Liston cited student run-ins with police as an example of a problem the council could tackle.

"I think it would get students talking," Liston said. "It'll give the council participation from other groups."

What had many talking last spring was Liston himself. After an April referendum on a proposed term-bill fee hike, Liston admitted to violating council bylaws by directing members to table in their own houses. Liston later said he made an honest mistake.

The next week, the council moved to recall him for failing to record 33 absences reported to him by the student affairs committee. As a result of not reporting those absences, Liston did not expel six council members who had five or more absences.

The recall motion failed by a 28-23 vote. A motion censuring Liston passed 28-20 a week later, but was later overturned because the council did not follow proper procedure in handing down the censure.

At the council last spring meeting in mid-May, Sayeed confessed that he illegally taped approximately 40 seconds of a phone conversation with Liston, in which Liston told Sayeed that he planned to take political action against Gregoire.

Despite his history of council dustups, Liston said he believes student voters will come to trust him. "I think people want to like us," Liston said.

With Liston the clear frontrunner for the presidency, the most interesting races could be for posts such as secretary and treasurer. Liston said he wouldn't be surprised if one of a cadre of talented sophomore incumbents ran for those positions.

Referendum Issues

Whatever happens with the elections, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III is not likely to intervene.

In June, he said the College administration has no plans to make binding a referendum the council ruled advisory on May 15. Issues on the referendum included a term bill hike and the direct election of council officials.

"I think there's no way to address all the niceties that the petition issue raised last year," Epps said. "The best thing is to take a fresh start."

But Epps did say that "the candidates should [run] on the basis of the issues addressed by the referendum."

In other news, the council office, last year in Canaday B, has been relocated to the basement of Holworthy Hall

Referendum Issues