Professor Misses His First Class

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Most Harvard students would welcome the chance to skip their first 10 a.m. class of the school year.

Yesterday, for the first time in 40 years of teaching. Baird Professor of History Richard Pipes did just that.

By all accounts, it was an innocent mistake.

"Everybody can absentmindedly forget things once in a while," said Les Professor of Medieval History Thomas N. Bisson history department chair. "It hasn't happened in 40 years to the poor man. Be kind and gentle to him.

Pipes said he had intended to schedule both his lecture classes at noon this semester, leaving the morning free "to work on books and such."

When he looked over the Courses of Instruction proof sent during the summer, he said he didn't notice that the book listed his course, History 1502, "Imperial Russia," at 10 a.m. instead of noon.

Yesterday morning, when he received a telephone call from teaching fellow Ana Siljak at about 10:40 a.m., he says he was surprised and embarrassed. He hadn't forgotten about class; in fact, when Siljak called, he was preparing for it.

"That's the kind of thing we have nightmares about," Pipes said.

One student in the approximately 50-person class said those who showed up were not bothered by Pipes' absence.

"It was sort of disappointing, but no one was angry," said Julian D. Mortenson '97. "It was really no big deal. It's not going to turn me against the guy."

Pipes did not come close to over-sleeping. In fact, he woke up at 6 a.m. and went to the eye doctor at 8 a.m., he said.

At about 9:30 a.m., Pipes spoke with his wife on the phone, he said. She said she would talk to him after his 10 a.m. class.

Pipes said he told her she was wrong, that his class was at noon and not 10 a.m. class.

And what has Pipes learned? "You should always listen to your wife," he said