Primed Gridders Set to Skin Bisons

By Matt Howitt

The Bucknell Bisons charge into town this Saturday for a 1:00 p.m. showdown with new Crimson coach Tim Murphy and the rest of the rebuilt, retuned and reenginereed Harvard football team.

"We are excited and anxious to play what we feel is a very good Harvard team," sixth-year Bison coach Lou Maranzana said. "We were impressed how hard they played against Columbia last weekend. We were impressed by their character. We were impressed that they fought back and won."

Bucknell (1-0) features a well-balanced yet explosive offense that has averaged 28 points per game.

In fact, Harvard's less-than-flawless defense may have a tough time handling a potent Bucknell offensive corps that decimated Southern Connecticut last Saturday in a 32-7 win.

After allowing an early score, the Bison exploded for three touchdowns in four minutes during the third quarter. Senior quarterback Rob Glus, senior wide receiver Mike Philips and sophomore tailback Rich Lemon each found the end zone in that short span.

Glus scored on a six-yard keeper, Philips on a 33-yard touchdown pass, and Lemon on a 42-yard romp from scrimmage.

"We are a team that wants to mix the run and the pass--very much like the Harvard approach," Maranzana explained. "I think offensively we are going to have to really battle against a defense that is going to be tough, playing hard and in the right place at the right time."

The Crimson defense, which blew an 18-point lead against the Lions, may focus solely on Lemon this Saturday. The sophomore registered impressive statistics last weekend, finishing the day with three touchdowns and 171 yards rushing on 22 carries. It was his sixth-straight 100-yard rushing performance.

"Rich Lemon is a central guy in our scheme," Maranzana said. "He is a hard runner and a tough person. As a freshman, he played a lot last year and gained experience. He has been playing very well this season."

A straight-ahead rusher, Lemon played "very well" enough to earn Patriot League Co-Offensive Player of the Week for his efforts.

While Harvard made an impression on Maranzana's squad with the high-powered 39-32 beginning of the Tim Murphy era, the Bison will clearly not roll over for the Crimson offensive attack this weekend. After allowing 45 points against Hofstra two weeks ago, however, Bucknell seems to be more vulnerable on defense than offense.

Middle linebacker Russ Strohecker highlights what Maranzana deems an experienced Bucknell defensive front-seven. Strohecker, a fourth-year starter, leads the team with 17 tackles, nine unassisted. Although he did not start the Southern Connecticut game, Maranzana expects Strohecker to start and contribute this weekend.

Mark Miller is a transplanted corner back now playing at free safety. While teammate Charlie Cruddup is leading the Patriot League in interceptions so far this season, Miller took that title last season.

Strong safety John Henry and defensive end Eddie Jackson also figure prominently in the Bisons' defensive scheme.

"We are preparing the defense to go out there and battle," Maranzana said. "We feel like that we have made some improvement of late."

The Crimson (1-0) bested a resilient Columbia squad 39-32 last Saturday. Although Harvard always seemed to be in control, starting quarterback Vin Ferrara had to engineer a late game comeback after two fourth quarter Columbia touchdowns made it 32-31, Lions.

Ferrara scored the final touchdown, rushing four yards and putting an exclamation point on his first career start. The senior completed 22 of 32 passes for 245 yards and two touchdowns.

"Vin Ferrara is an outstanding athlete," Maranzana said. "We are extremely impressed."

Freshman Eion Hu (18 attempts, 73 yards rushing), junior Kweli Thompson (7 catches, 89 yards) and senior Matt Gargulinski (5 catches, 87 yards) also scored for Harvard.

"We're going to do everything we can do to play steadily and fundamentally on the line of scrimmage," Maranzana said when asked how he planned to shut down the Crimson's mult-faceted attack. "We have some experienced guys on the front seven. We are just going to hang in there and battle. We're going to try to get ours as much as they get theirs."

While Bucknell will definitely need to "get theirs" if they want to ruin coach Murphy's Harvard Stadium debut, the hype surrounding this game does not faze Maranzana.

"Our team's excited about coming to Boston to play," Maranzana said. "We know we are going to find a team that is very well prepared. We're looking forward to it."