Reeves Urges Extending Manager's Term

Curtailing Public Comment, Walsh Tables Proposal Until Next Week's Meeting

By Sewell Chan

In a move described by city council members as both premature and unsurprising. Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 last week proposed extending the term of the Cambridge city manager through June 1997.

City Manager Robert W. Healy's term has been extended several times since he took office on July 1, 1981. His contract was last extended in 1993, through June 1995.

Reeves' proposal said the city's bond rating depended on "stability in the management team." The mayor also cited the upcoming October sale of $20 million in municipal bonds as an important consideration in extending Healy's term.

Opponents of Reeves' plan charged that the city manager may have engaged in an unethical real estate deal in 1985.

Reeves' proposal, an item on the agenda of yesterday's City Council meeting, was almost immediately tabled by Councillor William H. Walsh. Walsh used the privilege of charter right, which each of the nine members of the City Council possesses, to delay discussion of the proposal until next Monday's council meeting.

But Councillor Kathleen L. Born openly disagreed with the tabling.

"If I'm going to vote on it next week, I would welcome comment from the public this week," she said.

Reeves' proposal generated vigorous debate in the public gallery. At one point more than 100 spectators overflowed the council room.

The Cambridge Civic Association (CCA), the city's liberal political group, said it opposes extending Healy's term.

"The CCA considered the matter a year ago and recommended that having an extended contract prevents the CCA from exercising effective supervision over the city manager," said R. Phillip Dowds, CCA president.

Dowds said the State Ethics Commission had not fully investigated a real estate loan Healy and City Solicitor Russell Higley took out in 1985. The commission recently issued a communication clearing both men of any violation of the city's conflict of interest laws.

But Dowds said the ethics commission made only a half-hearted attempt at investigating Healy. "Of course there's no evidence [of impropriety]," Dowds said. "They haven't looked yet."

The majority of the other city councillors said they were undecided on the issue of the term extension.

"I do think the resolution submitted by the mayor is premature," said Councillor Katherine Triantafillou. "I think the city council ought to have a committee which evaluates his performance. His contract should be evaluated like any other city employee's."

Councillors Walsh and Timothy J. Toomey said they were also uncertain.

Council members Francis H. Duehay '55 and Jonathan S. Myers declined to comment.

Aside from Reeves, only Vice Mayor Sheila T. Russell and Councillor Michael Sullivan endorsed an extension of Healy's term.

Sullivan cited the economic rejuvenation of Central Square and the city's upcoming bond sale. "Some continuity is required for that," he said.

"It's not a good time to change horses in midstream," Russell said.

Other issues discussed at the meeting included three proposals for action if rent control is abolished in November and a proposition to prevent convicted felons from holding public office.