W. Golf Fares Well

Three Women's Golfers Participate

By Matthew P. Fleming

Though few in number, the women's golf team put in a strong showing at this weekend's Dartmouth Invitational in Hanover, NH.

Roughly ten teams and about 60 total golfers competed on Saturday and Sunday. Due to the low numbers on the roster, the Crimson was not able to compete in the event as a team, but that did not stop some of its members from putting in good individual performances.

"We only have three (players) this fall," said sophomore captain Alexis Boyle, referring to the team's rather tiny roster. "We're hoping to have more interest in the women's golf team as the season progresses."

Boyle was the top finisher among the Crimson competitors, placing 14th overall.

"At this point, Alexis is definitely our top golfer," coach Warren Smith said a few weeks ago. "She consistently shoots in the 70s and low 80s."

Another bright spot for the Crimson was freshman Susan Ranere, who placed 21st overall. The freshman was voted the top junior player in Massachusetts as a high school senior last year.

Junior Madge Roberts rounded out the three Crimson golfers, shooting a 101 on the first day and a 107 on the second.

Mother Nature was not on the side of the Crimson this weekend, as rain persisted throughout the competition, turning the course into a mudhole.

"I felt we did well for the first tournament considering the weather," Boyle said.

Smith was excited about the prospects for his team this season, and this weekend's showing suggests that he might have a sound basis for his opinion.

The next test for the squad will come this Saturday and Sunday, when the Crimson travels to New Haven, CT to play the Bulldogs of Yale.