Kunin Assesses Progress Toward 'Goals 2000'

In Satellite Town Meeting, Deputy Education Secretary Cites Nationwide Woes

By Amar K. Goel

The United States is far behind in reaching its educational goals for the year 2000, according to a report published yesterday by the National Education Goals Panel.

In a satellite town meeting broadcast last night at the Gutman Conference Center, Deputy Secretary of Education Madeleine Kunin said the report had several criticisms of American education.

In 1989, former President Bush and governors from around the nation declared six goals for primary and secondary public education. The plan was called "Goals 2000" and has been widely publicized.

But the nation is behind schedule; drug use is up among 10th-graders, and the number of Black and Hispanic students entering college is too low, the report says.

Still, Kunin said the report found some improvements as well.

"Surprisingly, violence among students had declined," she said, appearing on television.

And student alcohol usage has declined, according to the report by the panel.

Fourth-and eighth-grade students are scoring higher on math tests, the report also says.

One of the goals set for American education is for U.S. students to lead the world in math and science.

Viewers at the Gutman Conference Center said the most helpful part of the telecast was the discussion between school officials from Edmonds, Wash, and Worcester, Mass.

Candy Johns, an education official in Edmonds, described a recreation program at several high schools that runs from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

The "fun" session provides about 250 high school students a constructive place to go on weekends.

"[We] feed them and provide them a neutral place to hang out. There is not flying of gang colors and no recruiting," she said.

U.S. Secretary of Education Richard Riley had been expected to host the satellite meeting with Kunin, but his father's death prevented him from attending.