More Square Eateries Close

Bruegger's Shuts Doors Temporarily, Souper Salad For Good

By Lindsey M. Turrentine

First it was Elsie's. Now hungry Harvard students who trek to The Garage looking for an escape from the 6 p.m. dining hall mobs are in for a big disappointment.

Bruegger's Bagels and Souper Salad, located in the JFK/Mount Auburn St. shopping center, are closed for business--Bruegger's just temporarily, but Souper Salad for good.

Since December, plywood boards and black plastic sheets have covered the bagel shop's exterior windows and doors. The interior entrance stays locked.

For bagel lovers, there is hope. Bruegger's is simply remodeling and expanding and should re-open on February 8. But Souper Salad officials confirmed that the lunchtime stop has shut down. They could not be reached for further comment.

Bruegger's will have "a brand-new look," according to Akmakjian Akmakjian, construction supervisor of the renovation by Straight Up Builders Inc. "We're starting from scratch," Akmakjian said.

Richard W. Jaked, executive vice president for Beantown Bagels, which owns the Harvard Square Bruegger's franchise, said the purpose of the remodeling is "to get back to current standards and beyond."

Bruegger's will have twice as much room after it takes over the space that used to house TCBY, the frozen yogurt franchise whose shop in The Garage closed down two years ago.

While Bruegger's previously only had space for a small oven, it will soon have a full-size oven and a "state-of-the-art" sandwich maker. It will also be able to add 10 tables to its seating area, for what Jaked calls "a much nicer finish."

Planners say the remodeling took many bagel customers by surprise.

"People go crazy because they can't get their bagels here," Akmakjian said. "They even open the plywood doors and say, 'Oh my gosh! Where are my bagels?"'

Beginning last Tuesday, Souper Salad joined Bruegger's. Its lights have been off, and all the chairs rest unused and upside-down on the tables. Only a couple of cigarette butts remain on the counter by the register.

But Souper Salad's neighbors in The Garage said the restaurant's closure hasn't had quite the same impact.

"They [closed] without anyone ever really noticing....It was kind of right underneath our noses," said Lisa J. Gillin, the manager of next-door Coffee Connection. "I haven't had a ton of people show a ton of concera."

Gillin said she didn't even notice the closure until two days later. "Business was never really booming over there," she said.

Another Garage worker, who asked not to be named, said the thought the Souper Salad management and The Garage landlords had "squabbled" about the restaurant for many years.

"I believe they wanted to do more fast food instead of sit-down, but the landlords wouldn't allow it," he said. "They've been trying to get out' of here for some time."