Politicians Speak on Coming Out

Reeves, Triantafillou Discuss Homosexuality and Politics

By Nicholas K. Mitrokostas

In celebration of National Coming Out Day, Cambridge Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 and City Councillor Katherine L. Triantafillou discussed their experiences as homosexual politicians at the Adams House common room yesterday afternoon.

"When you make the decision to come out of the closet, your life changes dramatically and you don't have to hide anymore," Triantafillou said.

"We all have an obligation to come out, especially those of us in positions of authority," she said.

Approximately 20 people attended the forum, sponsored by the Harvard Bisexual Gay and Lesbian Students Association (BGLSA).

Reeves, who said he knew he was gay since the age of six, spoke about being a gay undergraduate at Harvard.

"[My partner and I] certainly have had an exciting life," he said. "When people ask what it was like being gay at Harvard, I say 'It was fun.'"

The two officials also discussed issues facing gay, lesbian and bisexual politicians.

Triantafillou said she believes being a member of the political arena allows people to see that gays and lesbians are "normal."

Reeves, who said he plans to march in the Million Man March in Washington, D.C. next Monday, also discussed his role as a black gay man.

"My own experience has been that the African-American community is not as homophobic and zealous as people think," Reeves said.

The BGLSA also is celebrating National Coming Out Week in other ways.

Members of the BGLSA offered condoms, buttons and handouts to students and passersby in front of Widener Library yesterday.

And the BGLSA will host a dance in Dunster House tomorrow night.

"The dance is the is the final celebration of coming out week," BGLSA co-chair Nadia P. Croes '98 said.