'Heritage Society' Acts Misguidedly

TO THE EDITORS

Feeling it insufficient to degrade themselves by means of classroom demonstrations, the so-called Harvard Heritage Society has now turned its infantile temper against those who dare to take a stand against them. Specifically, I refer to the recent letter in reply to Scott M. Singer '98. While Singer offered sage and judicious commentary on the Society's actions, the Society, ostensibly dedicated to the defense of boundless free speech, replied by dismissing Singer's arguments, comparing him to Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Were this simply a case of play-ground-style name-calling, one would as well let the matter pass, preferring not to justify such antics with a reply. Unfortunately, by invoking yet another historical figure, in yet another inappropriate manner, the Society compels a response.

In addition to comparing Scott Singer to Jefferson Davis, the Society has linked Kenan Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield '53 to Ku Klux Klan Imperial Wizard David Duke and Visiting Lecturer George F. Will to SS Reichsfuchrer Heinrich Himmler.

Neither I nor singer, in his letter, attempt to dispute the opinions held by members of the Society, nor call them into debate. Nor do I attempt to defend Singer, Mansfield or Will, who are quite able to defend themselves if they so choose. I do, however, denounce the historical comparisons as blatantly misguided, obnoxious, and abusive. No matter what he has said or done, Scott Singer has never advocated the establishment of an independent state where slavery might thrive. Professor Mansfield has never advocated violent lynchings and general hatred towards any man. And certainly, in none of his columns has Mr. Will ever defended a system of government that collected, tortured, and murdered millions of men, women and children.

These reckless comparisons promulgated by the Harvard Heritage Society serve only to blunt the full impact of the evil that Himmler and his ilk unleashed upon the world. When one considers that the Society purportedly defends the interests of ethnic, racial, sexual and religious minorities, it is sickeningly ironic that they do so in a manner that mocks the millions, almost exclusively members of one or more of those minority groups, that suffered, bled and died under the systems of slavery and Nazism. To use flippantly the dead as a political device is to commit upon them a wrong as great, if not greater, than any attributed to Mansfield or Will. It undercuts the efforts of those who fight nobly for equality, and it dishonors us all. Jeremy R. Jenkins '97-'98