Hatred = Death: False AALARM

By The CRIMSON Staff

reads, "AIDS: Sodomy=Death." In an age of a medical that touches each one of us--male, female, gay, rich, poor--it is disheartening and unjustifiable for the tragedy of AIDS as a vehicle to disseminate hatred. create, divisions where it should not exist, fan flames of where compassion should reign, expend valuable effort that produces nothing of any value in our common fight .

are the now-defunct group AALARM. Once the self-association Against Learning in the Absence of Religion the group is now the College's greatest shame. It lost in 1993, and defied College pestering rules last its offensive message on campus kiosks. Its former Q. Le '96, even defended the pestering campaign pub-.

poster targets gay and lesbian sexual practices as death. This, to us, is a distasteful and wholly inaccurate even AALARMists have enough memory of their freshness to realize that AIDS can be transmitted by a wide the fastest growing group of AIDS sufferers are .

nothing of intravenous drugs users, babies born to women and the practices of heterosexual men. AIDS is an exclusively homosexual problem; if anything, the community has been one of the most successful at curtailing the ravaging spread of the disease among its should be praised, not persecuted.

handful of bigots to know these facts may be asking too a blatant and ignorant zeal, they have condemned a is at the forefront of our common fight against AIDS. If factors in this struggle, it is they.

should not take disciplinary action against AALARM. would make a travesty of free speech principles. But we Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III condemned the in a statement last week and said he would like to personally to the people responsible. Such a college administrator rightfully reminds us that we respect for others, on this campus whose buzzword is .

campaign did not go completely unscathed. The Student Association (BGLSA) responded in kind . Their posters, put up alongside AALARM's, read Hatred=Death." At least this poster contained a kernel of wasteful and dilatory efforts of hate-mongers who our progress in finding a cure for AIDS, by dividing our loyalties and our purpose. Their hatred is indeed both a physical and a spiritual one.