First-Years Increase Recycling Efforts

By Peggy S. Chen

First-years can now give themselves a pat on the back, knowing they have done their part for the environment.

During the month of September, residents of the Yard and Union dormitories recycled 8,880 pounds of paper, according to Rob Gogan, waste manager for Harvard's Facilities, Maintenance and Operations.

This is a large jump from the 1,532 pounds recovered during the same period last year, he said.

The increase in recycling is due in part to the recent renovation of first-year dormitories, Gogan said.

In the renovations, trash and recycling rooms were placed next to laundry facilities so that students can take care of their housekeeping all in one place, Gogan said.

"It's definitely convenient," said Weld Hall resident Tally Zingher '99. "If it was in the next building, I don't think people would recycle as much."

And Hanna R. Shell '99 said she recycles her paper despite the fact that it is inconvenient.

"Yeah, it's kind of a pain. You've got these big blue boxes in your room, and you've got to take them down there," she said. "But I recycle paper."

The increase is also due simply to greater awareness of recycling. Gogan said.

"They've really taken to it well," said Gogan. "We're getting the generation of students who are used to recycling."

The waste management department has also been trying to push for more recycling elsewhere.

"There has been a moderate increase in the houses," Gogan said, "but a lot of the houses have difficult architectural layouts. It is sometimes difficult to store recycling bins in convenient locations."

The University recycles about 19 percent of the 7,000 tons of paper generated at its Cambridge and Allston campuses each year, Gogan said.

Most other universities have a rate of around 43 percent, he said.

Gogan attributed Harvard's low rate primarily to the inaccessibility of buildings and roads.

"We have a lack of handicapped access [to the recycling centers]," he said. "Many of the buildings were not built with loading docks in mind, and getting around is awkward [for collection trucks]."

The waste management department hopes to expand its recycling efforts with the addition of a new truck, said Gogan.

"We will have the capacity to collect a lot more paper and have quicker service," said Gogan.

Items which students can recycle currently include glass, bottles and cans, as well as paper and cardboard