JFK Jr. Pitches New Magazine At Winthrop

By Sarah E. Scrogin

John F. Kennedy Jr. said his new political magazine George merges politics and popular culture in a style intended to have mass appeal.

Meeting more than 100 students and faculty over pizza in the Winthrop House Junior Common Room, Kennedy discussed the magazine which first appeared this September and has already outgrossed other more established political journals. The talk was sponsored by the Winthrop Discussion Series and the Institute of Politics (IOP) "Pizza and Politics" Series.

"There was a sense that politics had migrated into the popular culture," said Kennedy, who left his job at the New York District Attorney's Office to launch the political journal.

"As issues become increasingly complex and people's attention becomes more scattered it becomes necessary to present politics in a way that could grab people's attention," he added.

The first issue of George featured a photo of model Cindy Crawford costumed as a scantily-clad George Washington. The magazine was criticized by some for including pieces such as an end-paper by Madonna titled, "If I Were President."

Although the influence of pop culture on the magazine has caused some reviewers to turn up their noses, Kennedy said the sales speak for themselves.

"We aim at being the first financially viable political magazine, ever," he said, adding that unlike other political journals, his magazine is not financed by a foundation and will not be paid for out-of-pocket if sales do not grow.

Kennedy said George's inaugural issue was launched with 175 pages of advertising, the largest advertising start for any magazine in history, he added.

Many of the advertisers who signed onto the magazine's eight-issue contract did so out of a belief that modern day consumers are also consumers of politics: they shop around and make consumer decisions about political candidates just as they would for a new car.

As for the magazine's untraditional content, Kennedy said the magazine attempts to highlight political issues by profiling politicians as well as inviting cultural icons to discuss their political views.

"If Strom Thurmond sold magazines, we'd put him on the cover," Kennedy said yesterday.

This month, the second issue of George features a cover photo of Robert DeNiro dressed as Washington. DeNiro is featured in the magazine because of his new movie "Casino," which Kennedy said deals with the current political issue of legalized gambling.

Kennedy's brief speech drew critical questions from several in the audience who questioned the merger of pop culture and politics and the comparison of politically active citizens and consumers.

"It's a business," Kennedy said, defending his decision to attempt to create a profitable political journal.

"Anyone with very deep pockets can start a political magazine and fund it at a deficit. I frankly don't see the challenge in doing that."

Ultimately, Kennedy said the challenge facing George is to increase readership and maintain respectability in Washington, D.C.

"We are the most widely read political magazine in the country, now," he said. "And if you are in that market you can't afford not to read this magazine."

Kennedy, who serves on the board of directors at the IOP, which was founded in memory of his father John F. Kennedy '40, said much of the inspiration for the magazine comes from his experience at the IOP.

"Really, a lot of the experience I gained while being on the board has informed our vision for the magazine," he said