Graduating Seniors Face Improving Job Market

Software Development, Consulting Offer Best Opportunities

By Andrew S. Chang

The class of 1996 will face a dramatically improved job market after graduation, according to a recent survey conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE).

The survey reports that employers expect to hire an averag of 23.5 percent more graduates in 1996 than in 1995.

"The general consensus from employers is that they expect an increase in their business and plans for expansion, which amounts to good news for graduates," said Dawn Oberman, one of the poll's organizers, in a telephone interview yesterday.

Employers from a random sample of about 250 companies were interviewed for the survey, according to a recent NACE press release.

According to Oberman, employers also plan to increase their on-campus recruiting by one percent in an attempt to hire more college graduates.

"In years past, employers kept cutting back, so any increase in recruiting is welcome news," Oberman said.

William Wright-Swadel, director of the Office of Career Services, said recruitment at Harvard appears to be on the rise.

"Our February recruiting schedule is up 25 employers from last year," he said.

"We can't be definitively sure yet, but early indications are that recruiting is up this year," he said.

But Wright-Swadel also said that while the survey reports increases in recruiting at the national level, recruiting at Harvard has always been strong.

"Our recruiting program has stayed relatively consistent over the years," he said.

The survey also said employers in computer-related fields are particularly interested in hiring new graduates.

"The best opportunities for employment are in areas such as computer manufacturing, software development and consulting." Oberman said.

The survey also reports that employers expect to increase starting salaries by an average of 3.3 percent this year.

Many Harvard students said the greater demand for college graduates does not affect their college graduates does not affect their career plans.

One Dunster House senior who did not want to be identified said he does not feel affected by changes in the job market.

"Since so many recruiters come to campus, I think we are somewhat insular [to fluctuations in the job market] than, say, students at a state school," he said.

"It sounds incredibly elitist, but it's true," he added.

But Wright-Swadel said he believes increased recruiting affects students' career considerations.

"I think it has the effect of opening up some fields that some [Harvard] students would otherwise not have explored," Wright-Swadel said.

Wright-Swadel said he believes the job market improvements reported in the survey will not affect career counseling at Harvard. "I don't think it changes the way we advise our students," he said.

NACE, a non-profit association which attempts to promote cooperation between college advising programs and employers, has conducted this survey for the last four years