Seniors See Big Bucks On Horizon

NEWS FOR THE WEEKEND

By Andrew S. Chang

Despite tales of dismal job markets and endless rat races, most college seniors are actually quite optimistic about their future financial outlook, a new Gallup poll reported this week.

Nearly two-thirds of college seniors polled from across the country said they expect to enjoy a higher standard of living than their parents.

Many Harvard students interviewed yesterday said they were not surprised by the poll's results.

"Of course every generation hopes to have a higher standard of living than their parents," said Sarah E. Tuttleton '96, an Adams House resident.

"I think it's fair to say that college graduates of my generation are very optimistic about their future because their parents worked very hard to put them through college," Tuttleton said.

But Athena L. Trattner '96 said she is not quite as optimistic. "I think the standard of living will probably remain about the same," she said.

Other Harvard seniors are even more skeptical about prospects for the standard of living in twenty years.

"I definitely don't think the standard of living will be increasing," said Sheridan J. Pauker '96, a Lowell House resident concentrating in environmental science and public policy.

"Unless we start making some structural changes, I foresee hitting some walls in terms of resource availability," she said.

The survey also found that the average annual income expected by members of the class of 1995 in 20 years is $98,000. Seniors said the amount was a good benchmark.

"In all likelihood, I won't be making that, but $98,000 sounds reasonable," Pauker said.

"I don't see that as a prediction. I see that as a goal," said Rivka A. Levine '96. "It's a good thing to shoot for."

Vassilis Kottas '96, a computer science concentrator who plans to work for a New York investment bank after graduation, hopes to make more than $98,000.

"Given the inflation of salary rates in information technology, I expect to be making more than that," he said.

Although seniors polled stressed future income and job prospects, 38 percent of seniors in the poll considered "having time to be with family" important to their quality of life.

Kottas hopes that a healthy income will allow him time for other pursuits. "A good family life will become a controlling priority," he said.

Jobs and family are not the only things seniors saw in their future.

Seventy-nine percent of seniors in the survey said they expect to begin some form of post-graduate study within the next five years. Only 26 percent said they plan to begin their postgraduate education in the next year.

Like those seniors, Trattner, a physics concentrator who plans to work in industry or government, said she hopes to attend graduate school next year and wait for an improvement in the job market.

"There's a lot of pessimism about jobs in particle physics because of recent cuts in funding," Trattner said.

"People seem to think it's cyclic, so maybe there will be jobs after I get out of graduate school," she said.

Like most seniors surveyed, Pauker plans to eventually attend graduate school, but not for at least two years.

"I'd like to travel," she said. "I'm applying for some fellowships. I would like to work for some non-governmental organizations in land-use planning."

The survey, sponsored by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), also reported that 57 percent of seniors are "somewhat likely" or "very likely" to work in the business world sometime in the future.

Even those who plan to continue their studies, like Travelli, may spend some time in business.

A philosophy concentrator, Travelli said he plans to continue in graduate school after a fellowship of a year in business.

"I do want to make some cash and get my hands dirty," he said.

The poll also reported a surge of interest in business schools. One in five seniors said they plan to attend graduate programs in business, more than any other program.

"I think there's been a renewed interest in MBAs," said Stefano P. Merlo '96.

The survey also found that a large majority of the seniors polled, 65 percent, expect to change their career path at least once.

The survey of nearly 2,000 seniors from 134 public and private colleges and universities was conducted in the spring of 1995 by the George H. Gallup International Institute