ATHLETE of the WEEK

By David S. Griffiel

Whether or not this winter is a bad one, opponents of the Harvard men's basketball team will be Snowd-en.

No, it's not Nanook of the North that worries the Ivy League--it's junior power forward Kyle Snowden, who has propelled the Crimson to a 4-0 start, including last night's win over Holy Cross (see story below).

In each these games, Snowden has had game-high totals in rebounds and has recorded double-doubles as well. But more than that, Snowden eternally dominated the inside game, even if the opponent is 6'11" Lafayette forward Stefan Ciosici (whose rebounding total Snowden almost tripled that day). Oh, and by the way, Snowden knocked home 20 points and had four assists.

Or look at Harvard's 108-60 whipping of Babson to lead off the season, Snowden scored 19 and pulled in a Rodman-like total of 18 boards.

There's reason why Harvard shoots a 48 percent clip from behind the three-point are--it's hard to defend the outside shot when one is worried about Snowden all the time.

Worry they should. NCAA MEN's POLL 1. Colorado Coll. (22)  9-0-3  283 2. Boston Univ. (7)  10-1-1  267 3. Michigan  10-3-0  208 4. Minnesota  10-3-1  190 5. Maine  12-3-2  172 6. Vermont  8-2-1  116 7. Denver  11-2-1  99 8. West. Michigan  11-3-0  82 9. Michigan St.  13-4-0  78 10. Lake Superior St.  11-3-0  42

Compiled by the Troy (PLV.) Record First-Place votes are in parenthesis, followed by tours record and total points.