HASCS Will Cancel All Group E-Mail Accounts

By Douglas M. Pravda

The Harvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS) announced yesterday that it will eliminate student group e-mail accounts, according to an e-mail message sent to the 23 student groups with e-mail accounts on the fas server.

"Unfortunately, FAS Computer Services no longer supports nor offers student group accounts," read the message, which was signed by user services. "Therefore, your group account will have to be removed from our systems."

HASCS Director Franldin M. Steen said in an e-mail message yesterday that the change was not a new one.

"Well over a year ago, we decided that group accounts presented a security risk because passwords are shared," Steen said. "We have had problems in the past with group passwords going to others outside the group and outside of Harvard."

Steen said HASCS decided to eliminate group accounts last year, but "we originally grandfathered in a few student groups whose accounts we are now eliminating."

He said HASCS offered to set up aliases that would automatically send group e-mail to group members.

The accounts will expire on December 7 and will be deleted on December 31, according to the message from user services.

The message tells users to obtain new group accounts through the Harvard Computer Society (HCS).

John E. Stafford '96, the president of HCS and a Crimson editor, said yesterday the organization has the room to support the new groups.

"Considering that we already provide accounts for more than 90 student groups, another 20 or 25 will barely stretch the limits of our server," he said.

But Stafford cautioned users to expect some delays.

"While some delays can be expected because of the sudden influx of accounts, the groups should rest assured that their accounts will be fully operational long before their HASCS accounts are eliminated, as long as they give us sufficient notice," he said