M. Hockey Riding High After Opener

ECAC HOCKEY ROUNDUP

By Brian T. Garibaldi

The Harvard men's hockey team thoroughly trounced Brown Saturday in an otherwise slow week in ECAC hockey play.

The Crimson defeated the rival Bears by a margin of 7-2 in this week's only ECAC league game. The win marked Harvard's largest margin of victory over Brown in five years.

Rookie Craig Adams earned Colgate/ECAC Rookie of the Week honors en route to the dominating victory over the division rival Bears. Adams scored two goals in his debut for the Crimson, complimenting Craig MacDonald's two assist, one goal effort.

The Crimson outshot Brown 32-14 as it zambonied over its longtime adversary. Harvard's talented freshman class contributed three goals in the victory, proving early on that it is a class to be reckoned with in ECAC play.

Brown's senior Brian Jardine made the ECAC Honor Roll, scoring the only Bear's goals on the power play.

In other ECAC action during the last week:

Vermont's Martin St. Louis earned Bauer/ECAC Player of the week honors with an impressive weekend run for the Catamounts In two victories over Miami. St. Louis scored a total of six points, including 5 assists. Fru Pernn (2-3-5) had five points for Vermont in their weekend sweep.

Yale also had a good weekend in non-conference play, sweeping Air Force on the road, 3-0 and 8-1.

Yale goalie Dan Choquette made the honor roll for his 18 save, 3-0 shutout against Air Force Saturday. While teammate Rav Girous earned the same recognition for his four assist effort Sunday. Nine different players contributed to the Elis' offensive barrage.

The weekend was a surprisingly good one in net for the Bulldogs as Yale goalies Choquette and Alex Westlund stopped 43 of 44 Air Force shots.

Clarkson notched an important non league win at home against Bowling Green, knocking off the number-six team in the nation by a score of 5-3.

Golden Knights' forward J.F. Houle earned a spot on this week's honor roll for his game winning goal in Saturday's contest.

This was certainly a week for ECAC netkeepers. In addition to Choquette's heroics, both Trevor Koenig of Union and Matt Reder of Colgate threw shutouts against the opposition.

Union battled Army to a 0-0 tie behind Koenig, while Colgate notched a win against Ottawa behind Reder.

The real excitement in the ECAC begins this weekend when all 13 league teams are in action.

Harvard faces off against Colgate on the road Friday, and will be at Cornell Saturday. ECAC STANDINGS   OVERALL  ECAC Team  W  L  T  W  L  T Harvard  1  0  0  1  0  0 Yale  2  0  0  0  0  0 Vermont  3  1  0  0  0  0 Colgate  2  2  0  0  0  0 St. Lawrence  2  2  0  0  0  0 Union  1  2  1  0  0  0 Clarkson  1  3  1  0  0  0 Dartmouth  0  1  1  0  0  0 Cornell  0  1  0  0  0  0 Princeton  0  1  0  0  0  0 RPI  0  4  0  0  0  0 Brown  0  1  0  0  1  0