Students, Cantabrigians Cast Ballots

ELECTION '95

By Andrew A. Green, R. ALAN Leo, and C.r. Mcfadden

Scores of Harvard students and thousands of Cantabrigians fulfilled their civic duty Tuesday by choosing candidates for the Cambridge City Council and the Cambridge School Committee.

Without the long-divisive wedge issue of rent control, citizens used their ballots to address concerns about preserving affordable housing, economic development, public safety and governmental efficiency.

Despite the wide range of issues, voter turnout was at its lowest level in more than a generation, as un-official counts suggest that just 48 percent of voters went to the polls Tuesday.

"This has been very disappointing," said Edward J. Samp, former Cambridge Election commissioner and an election judge at Peabody Elementary School. "I've been doing this for 35 years, and I've never known anything like this."

Harvard students once again had a poor showing at the polls. The unofficial voter turnout at precincts for first-years and river house residents was 81 out of 599 registered voters.

Eileen L. Schlab, an election official at Larsen Hall in the Graduate School of Design, blamed rainy weather and the abolition of rent control for the poor turnout. "There's a lack of interest, but rent control kept the numbers up all these years," Schlab said.

Along with the major issues, certain voters were looking for candidates who appealed to their particular interests.

Joseph C. Butscher, a cyclist who voted at the Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School, said he supported Craig A. Kelley because Kelley proposed constructing bicycle lanes on major city streets.

"I'm tired of being cussed at and damn near run over on the street," Butscher said.

Helping to facilitate the election were dedicated bands of election judges, who gave up the day to help the voting process run smoothly.

Workers arrived at the polls at 6:30 a.m. and stayed until 9 p.m., locking up ballots and transporting them to the Longfellow School in East Cambridge where the Election Commission began counting them yesterday.

Josephine Dottin, a retired Cambridge resident who worked at the North Cambridge Senior Center, said she was a judge because "it's the one day a year I work."

Judges are paid between $85 and $120 for their efforts, and most workers are given free lunch and donuts, too.

"You only get paid a little bit. None of us could possibly be doing it for the money," said Paul F. Walker, a judge at the Peabody School.

Throughout the day, candidates and supporters were out in full force, campaigning at the legally required 150-foot distance from the polls.

Despite the chilly weather and steady rain throughout the afternoon, supporters said they were happy to help their friends on Election Day.

Supporters of incumbent Councillor Michael A. Sullivan, whose family has held a seat on the council since 1936, said they felt obliged to help the city's longest-running political dynasty.

"It's a tradition," said Tom Calabrese, who held signs for Sullivan outside the Cambridge Municipal Building. "My father helped his grandfather and his father, so now I'm helping him."

Edward R. Goode, who held signs for Councillor Sheila T. Russell in North Cambridge, said he has worked for the Russell and her husband each election since 1967.

"We've had worse weather than this," he said. "All of us experienced people have gone through snow, sleet and rain."

Supporters spent the day passing out literature and asking pedestrians to vote, according to Daniel Turner, who held signs for Sullivan at the North Prospect Church voting place.

"I think [election workers] help tremendously," he said.

"Either people have made up their mind way before Election Day or they come undecided at the last minute," Turner said.

Russell's campaign workers stopped at polling places to check voting lists and give supporters hot coffee and sandwiches.

Candidates were also busy throughout the day.

Kelley stood outside the Peabody Street station because "I can't leave as long as I have people standing out in the rain."

Councillor Kathleen I. Born, with her husband John and daughter Charlotte in tow, stumped for votes in West Cambridge. "We've done everything we could do," Born said.

Vans driven by supporters for Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves 72' and candidate Barbara I. Pilgrim were spotted cruising the streets in North Cambridge and Central Square, and Councillor Timothy J. Toomey, Jr. shook hands with voters outside the Harrington School in East Cambridge.

In his first trip to the polls since becoming an American citizen, Joe A. Fagundes yesterday cast a ballot for Toomey.

"[Toomey] stays around the city and when we need him for something, he's only a phone call away," Fagundes said.

"I know most of the people around here by name," Toomey said.