Geb Marett, Fourth Line Shine in Loss

By David S. Griffel, Special to The Crimson

Potsdam N.Y.--One thing that shouldn't be lost in Harvard's 4-2 defeat at the hands of Clarkson was the effort of Harvard's fourth line.

Actually, the Crimson's fourth line has produced big goals in each of the teams last three games. Against Brown a week ago Saturday, freshman Clayton. Rodgers scored his first collegiate goal to give Harvard a 3-2 lead in a 6-4 victory.

At St. Lawrence on Friday, junior Stuart Swenson gave the Saints all but 12-seconds to enjoy their 2-1 lead early in the second period. Following the face off at center ice, Swenson picked up the puck and zoomed into the zone. Swenson wristed the biscuit through a screen and past the St. Lawrence goalie to tie that game.

And Saturday, it was senior Geb Marett who finally was rewarded on the scoreboard for his hard work all season. Marett recorded both Harvard goals, as he drove hard to the net each time, finding the loose puck and finding the holes in the Clarkson defense.

Those were his first two collegiate tallies. Marett had suffered several injuries over his first three years, and he spent a lot of time as a defensement.

My teammates did a good job, and just happened to be in the right place at the right time," Marett said of his goals. "It's just frustrating and discouraging when you don't end up with a win, regardless of how many goals you score."

On the weekend, Harvard's fourth line outscored its other three, 3-2. These two goals came off the stick of captain Brad Konik.

Give Him the Axe?

Worst mascot of the season: Clarkson's Golden Knight. This person, who seemed to be a good advertisement for aluminum foil, skated onto the ice before each period began.

Holding a doll wearing a Harvard jersey, the mascot engaged in several very interesting actions. At one point, he threw the doll down, and he also took an axe and gave it a couple of whacks. Really funny stuff--a large part of the matinee crowd of 3,163 were children.

Ice Chips

Saturday's game marked the sixth time Harvard has scored three goals or fewer. It's record in those games: 0-5-1. When it scores at least four, Harvard is 5-0-0.... Woe Canada: Harvard is 0-3-1 when the Canadian anthem is played before a game.... Senior Kirk Nielsen was thwarted by the right goal post midway through the second period.... Harvard nullified two of its own power play by taking penalties, one of which was retaliatory and definitely unnecessary.... Four of Harvard's five wins have come against Ivy League school. Good news: Princeton's next on Friday. ECAC STANDINGS   OVERALL  ECAC Team  W  L  T  W  L  T Clarkson  8  3  2  6  0  1 Colgate  6  4  2  5  1  2 St. Lawrence  7  5  1  5  1  1 Cornell  4  3  3  4  1  3 Vermont  10  2  1  4  0  1 Harvard  5  5  1  4  3  1 Brown  2  5  3  1  4  3 Rensselaer  4  8  1  2  4  0 Yale  4  8  0  2  6  0 Union  2  7  2  1  4  1 Princeton  3  7  2  1  6  1 Dartmouth  0  6  1  0  5  0