UConn Tourney on Tap

Women's Basketball to Face Duquesne

By Shira A. Springer

The University of Connecticut is synonymous with big time in women's college basketball. The Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts has become a post-national championship shrine for the Huskies. Senior point guard Jenn Rizotti's number hangs in one glass display case, Rebecca Lobo's in another. The team's 1995-1996 season opener against Louisianna Tech was nationally televised.

The Huskies throw out the welcome mat at Gampel Pavillion this weekend, inviting Harvard, Nebraska and Duquesne for showtime at the University of Connecticut Invitational Tournament in Storrs, Conn. The Crimson (3-1, 0-0 Ivy) faces Duquesne on Saturday in its first road game of the year. A victory on Saturday advances Harvard to the Sunday championship against the winner of the UConn-Nebraska game, which will most likely be the Huskies.

Harvard tasted big time competition for the first time this season in a one point loss to George Washington in the finals of the Harvard Invitational last Sunday. George Washington advanced to the "Sweet 16" round of last year's NCAA Division I tournament.

Harvard should look to sophomore forward Allison Feaster to lead the way on Saturday, although if the team faces UConn on Sunday, it will no doubt live and die with the three-pointer. The Huskies will almost certainly try to contain Harvard's inside game with Kara Wolters, a 6'7" senior center, and a zone defense.

Feaster grabbed Ivy Player of the Week honors. She is averaging 20 points per game and 10.5 rebounds. Harvard will also look for strong production from starting guards Elizabeth Proudfit (13 points per game, 20 assists on the season) and Jessica Gellman (9.5, 20).