Four Seek Council Presidency

Embattled Former Execs. Enter Race

By Todd F. Braunstein

The race for the Undergraduate Council presidency grew more crowded last week as a sophomore and two scandal-tarnished former executives declared their candidacies for the office.

Campus life committee Co-Chair Rudd W. Coffey '97, former council secretary Randall A. Fine '96 and former council vice president Joshua D. Liston '95 announced that they will challenge outgoing Vice President Brandon C. Gregoire '95 in Sunday's election for the top council post.

The four candidates will debate each other tomorrow night at 7 p.m. in Sever 113. Joining them will be student affairs committee Chair Justin C. Label '97, the only declared candidate for the council vice presidency.

Coffey, who announced his candidacy last week, said in an interview last night that he wants to change the role of the president.

Coffey said he wants the president to be more of a "facilitator."

"I don't think the president should define the council," Coffey said. "He or she should set the tone, but shouldn't set the agenda."

"It's kind of an abstract idea," Coffey added."I want to be a different kind of leader than whatwe've had."

Council members have expressed concern aboutCoffey's youth and inexperience. The council hasnot been led by a sophomore at any time in thelast several years.

But delegates almost uniformly praised thecampus life co-chair's sparkling record, withseveral noting that he would make an excellentpresident, "someday."

Fine's rap sheet, on the other hand, is almosta mile long.

As a first-year, Fine was accused of a litanyof wrongdoings that ranged from buying votes in aRepublican Club election to keeping acouncil-administered grant from the EnvironmentalProtection Agency for himself.

Fine spent last year away from the councilafter losing in the North House general elections.

But he returned this fall and after losing avice presidential race to Gregoire, Fine began toregain credibility, council members say.

The former secretary sponsored seven successfulresolutions, including those which called forcable access at Harvard, Core reform and more bikeracks.

Fine's vision for the council is illustrated byhis "15 in 15" plan--the candidate is promising 15council accomplishments in his first 15 days aspresident.

Items on Fine's list include renewed compliancewith Federal and state non-profit tax-exemptionguidelines, the installment of a copy machine foruse by all student groups and the creation of atask force to study alternative methods fordistributing non-Harvard newspapers.

Several sources on the council, includingoutgoing President David L. Hanselman '94-'95,have termed Fine the favorite in this race.

In a one-page letter reprinted in Fine'sposition statement, Hanselman wrote that he"cannot more strongly endorse Randy Fine, andI...ask each...of you to join me in electing himour next Council president."

Liston's announcement came as a surprise tomost council observers.

Just weeks after losing a bid for thepresidency this fall, Liston was booted from thecouncil for excessive absences. He wassubsequently reinstated.

"I definitely think people should take it intoconsideration," Liston said of his intermittentattendance. "I think that's a strike against mefrom last semester."

Liston pledges to lead a council that is moreresponsive to student concerns. He even intends tobroadcast his platform directly to the students,saying he will run "two campaigns" in his bid forthe presidency--the usual campaign among councilmembers, as well as a "student-wide campaign."

Liston has drawn up a one-page position paperthat he said will be hand-delivered to every dormroom on campus.

On the sheet, 10 promises--including aguaranteed visit from a member of the executiveboard to every undergraduate room--are enumerated.Students are instructed to call theirrepresentatives if they support Liston's ideas.

Liston's tenure on the council has been astormy one. As vice president last spring, herepeatedly came under fire for administrativeincompetence. He was nearly kicked out of officefor failing to expel several council members withexcessive absences