Conference Explores Asian-American Identity

By Curtis R. Chong

Members of the Asian-American community converged on campus yesterday to participate in the sixth annual Harvard Asian American Association Intercollegiate Conference.

The two-day conference, which ends this afternoon, is called "Generation A: Constructions of Asian-American Identity." The event is expected to draw 100 students and professors, Co-Director Mynette A. Louie '97 said.

Conference attendees will explore conceptions of the Asian-American identity, according to Jaehyuk Choi '98, vice-president of the Asian American Association (AAA). "[The conference] gives people a chance to think about what it means to be an Asian-American now in contrast to a few years ago," he said.

Keynote speakers at the conference include contemporary Asian-American writers David Mura and Meena Alexander.

Eric Liu, a first-year Law School student who wrote speeches for President Clinton, is expected to host a workshop on Asian-American politics today.

Speakers will also address Asian-American art, sexuality and identity, Louie said.

"We're aiming to explore rather than educate," she said.

Mura, a third generation Japanese-American, described how racism and the Japanese internment. during World War II affected Asian-Americanidentity at his poetry reading, sponsored by theReischauer Institute and the Asian-AmericanAssociation.

In the '40s and '50s, following the internment,Japanese-Americans were forced to abandon theircultural identity, Mura said. In the '90s, youngAsian-Americans live in a period of "fluctuationand change" which makes them more aware of theiridentities, he said.

"As I go around the country, I see a renewedenergy among young Asian-Americans to look atissues of identity and their place in Americansociety," Mura said. "Asian-American perceptionsof selves are changing, there's been a hugeoutpouring of cultural production, works thatreach a white mainstream audience."

The conference title is a "tongue-in-cheek"play on the term Generation X, said Louie.

"Asian-Americans are marginalized by thegeneral public," Louie said. "Generation A, wefeel, is a neglected side of the postmodern youthculture."

By displaying the efforts of cutting-edgeartists, AAA hopes to demonstrate the continuingdevelopment of Asian-American identities.

"[We're] trying to explore the different waysin which we manifest being on the margin ofsociety through creative mediums," Louie said.

Perceptions of Asian-Americans by mainstreamculture have changed dramatically, Choi said."[Asian-Americans used to be] presented in themedia as foreigners who didn't know [English]," hesaid.

While increased exposure draws attention to a"marginalized" group of young people, it mayreinforce negative stereotypes, Louie said.

"[Asian-Americans] have come more into thepublic's eye and that has been both beneficial anddetrimental," she said. "At least people knowwe're there, yet it is detrimental becausestereotypes are reinforced and the Asian-Americanculture has been objectified and commodified," sheadded