Big Green Tops in W. Hoops

Feaster Honored With Carolinas' Athlete of the Year Award

By Ethan G. Drogin

Freshman women's basketball sensation Allison Feaster was selected as one of Carolinas' Athletes of the Year yesterday.

"Being recognized in the area where I'm from is definitely an honor for me," said Feaster, who noted that it was all the more special to receive such an award in front of friends and family.

Feaster, who broke the South Carolina high school scoring record with 3,427 career points, is currently averaging 16.5 points and 11.8 rebounds per game.

In Harvard's 83-54 blow-out victory over Yale, Feaster poured in 23 points to lead the Crimson.

Joining Feaster as honored Carolina athletes were former Duke All-American Grant Hill, and San Diego Charger running back Natrome Means.

Having played six of its last eight games on the road, Harvard opens up a four-game homestand versus Princeton Friday.

The Tigers, coming off wins over Ivy League doormats Columbia and Cornell, have won four of their last five and are tied for third place in the Ancient Eight with streaking Penn.

The Quakers, who face Harvard Saturday, are red-hot--garnering six wins in their last seven games. Only a 30-point performance by Cornell guard Mary LaMacchia last weekend put an end to Pennsylvania's winning streak.

Despite a tough shooting weekend for captain Tammy Butler, she continues to lead the Ivy League in scoring--averaging 17.5 points per game.

Butler went 5-17 from the field against Brown and 2-10 versus Yale.

Junior forward Katy Davis came off the bench to score a career-best 14 points in 16 minutes against Yale.

Dartmouth swept its weekend match-ups with Yale and Brown to remain one game ahead of the Crimson in the Ivy League standings.

Dartmouth has been fueled by Betsy Gilmore, who was named Ivy League Player of the Week for her performances against Yale and Brown.

Gilmore netted 21 points and added 18 assists over the weekend and is currently the best pick-pocket in the Ivies, averaging 4.5 steals per game.

Rookie of the Week honors went to Brown guard Elizabeth Turner. The freshman earned her third such award by scoring 25 points and hauling down 15 boards over the weekend.

Only Harvard freshman Allison Feaster has collected more Rookie of the Week awards, with six this season.

Two losses over the weekend leave Columbia winless for the season. The Lions' (0-9 Ivies, 0-20 overall) best chance for a win comes Friday, when they travel to New Haven to face the struggling Elis (2-5 Ivies, 8-11 overall) who have lost four straight games.