Model Congress to Hold Conference

More Than 1,000 To Participate In 10th Anniversary Meeting

By Flora Tartakovsky

For its 10th anniversary conference, Harvard Model Congress will add two new programs and several renowned speakers to this year's schedule.

Next week more than 1,000 high-school students will participate in the four-day event which includes a "simulation of the American government" and "provides students with a unique learning environment."

The Harvard Model Congress (HMC) conference will be held next Thursday through Sunday at the Sheraton Boston Hotel and Towers.

The number of high-school students participating has increased by approximately 30 percent over last year. About 150 Harvard students will help run the event.

"I think a lot of the reason for the increase is the realism and the scope that our program offers in the way of learning about the American political process," said HMC President Stephen Y. Ko '95.

One of the programs added this year will be a mock "Constitutional Convention" designed to "offer students the chance to debate three proposed amendments to the Constitution, including a balanced budget amendment," according to a press release describing the conference.

The other new program will be called the Student Cabinet. Students in this program "will write Executive Orders and try to guide the President's legislative agenda through Congress," according to the press release.

High school delegates seeking to participate in the Student Cabinet program were chosen through an application process, Ko said.

"There were only 14 positions available, so we took the best people out of all the applicants," Ko said.

"They were chosen on the basis of past government simulation experience, awards and honors and responses to written essays," he added.

A number of distinguished experts, including Professor of Law Richard D. Parker, Williams Professor of History and Political Science Roderick MacFarquhar and IBM Professor of Business and Government Roger B. Porter will speak at the con- ference.

"I think [the conference] is a greatopportunity for high school students and Harvardstudents to interact in order to reinforce activegovernment participation," said HMC Vice PresidentMelissa A. Rohrbach '95