EAC Mulls Boycott of Mitsubishi

Activists Blame Corporation for Rain Forest Destruction

By Curtis R. Chong

The Environmental Action Committee (EAC), an undergraduate ecological group, will vote Tuesday on a resolution encouraging the Harvard community to boycott Mitsubishi products for a year, John C. Razer '97, the committee's chair, announced yesterday.

The decision came after environmental activists said that Mitsubishi is responsible for destruction to rain forests around the world.

"We haven't worked out the exact wording yet, but [the resolution] encourages Harvard University to boycott Mitsubishi goods," he said. "[The resolution] calls for a concerted effort towards more sustainable logging practices."

EAC member David S. Grewal '98 said he has been investigating Harvard's relationship with Mitsubishi in the capacity of a private citizen.

"I've contacted the endowment, stockholding and purchasing offices," he said. "Harvard's involvement in purchasing Mitsubishi products is minor."

If the EAC's efforts are successful, Grewal said, Harvard will join other prominent colleges in a national boycott against Mitsubishi.

"There is a full boycott at the University of Colorado at Boulder and the University of Washington is looking into [Mitsubishi's practices]," he said.

Jessica S. Hamilton, a Green Corps college coordinator and a member of the Rain Forest Action Network, said a Harvard boycott would capture Mitsubishi's attention.

"We though [the boycott] is important at Harvard because it's such a prestigious university," Hamilton said. "[Mitsubishi] will realize that it's not a few activists who are pinpointing them but intelligent students have been investigating their practices."

"Mitsubishi will be hurt and consumer sales will go down," she added.

An active Harvard boycott would also be a blow to the President of the corporation Minora B. Makihara '54, Hamilton said.

By championing a cooperative approach, Grewal said, the EAC action is different from traditional protests.

"[The EAC] would like to move forward with Mitsubishi and enact change rather than be confrontational," he said. "[The resolution] opens dialogue with Mitsubishi."

No one representing EAC as an organization has contacted Mitsubishi, said Steve Wechselblatt, the company's vice president of public relations.

"We feel most strongly that people should contact us directly," he said. "We have a stronger case than the people who are attacking us and we don't think [the boycott] should happen at all."

Wechselblatt said he hopes the EAC will take an objective look at the issue.

"It bothers me that people at a university, who examine claims closely and analytically, would only allow one side of the story [to be presented]," he said. "People are acting in a non-analytical manner...I would hope for more from Harvard."

Grewal said the committee has foundMitsubishi's position "unconvincing."

"[I have] written Mitsubishi many times as acitizen and received a form letter response," hesaid.

Grewal said he is skeptical of Mitsubishi'sdenial of harming rain forests. "[Mitsubishi uses]the Food and Agriculture Organization's definitionof deforesting, which is the removal of all treesin an area," he said.

Both Grewal and Hamilton said the possibleHarvard boycott would set a precedent for reactingagainst irresponsible actions by multinationalcorporations.

"Conflicts will be played out with economics,rather than between superpowers," Grewal said."Mitsubishi is just a case study. We hope thisbecomes indicative of a larger trend wherecorporations evaluate the social and economicimpact of their activities.