Students Register in Houses, Union

By David L. Greene

Due to the construction on Memorial Hall, sophomores, juniors and seniors registered for the spring semester yesterday in each of their undergraduate houses while first-years filed in the Union.

According to Registrar of the College Georgene Herschbach, initial feedback on the new system was positive. Herschbach said she would consider using the format in the future as long as reactions remained favorable.

"Certainly in my tenure, this is the first time students have registered in the houses," said Herschbach. "And things in general went smoothly. Students seem to like registering in their own houses."

Ethan A. Vogt '97, who registered in Dunster House yesterday afternoon, endorsed the new format.

"It was simple," Vogt said. "It really was a good system--more convenient and quicker."

Vogt said that since registration is mainly a financial process to make sure students have paid their bills, there should be no hassle.

"It's nice that they make it easier on us and don't make us all go to Memorial Hall," he said.

In past years, all undergraduates registered in Memorial Hall, leading to crowds and long lines.

Still, yesterday's registration did not take place without a few minor problems. There were initially some long lines in the Freshman Union and a small delay in Dudley House, Herschbach said.

"We underestimated the time it would take to deliver packets to all of the houses," she said.

Students in Dudley House, many of whom live off campus, had to wait 15 to 20 minutes for registration materials to arrive, according to Margaret C. Handy, house undergraduate administrator.

"Students were told that if they had to leave and could not return [later in the day], their late registration fee would be waived," Handy said.

Handy said the students waited patiently for registration to begin.

"They sat around, drank coffee, and had some good conversations," she said. "It didn't cause any real problems."

At 9:30 a.m. yesterday morning, a line offirst-years stretched from the registration areain the upstairs Union parlor rooms down to thedining hall.

These early birds registration was a 40 minuteprocess, but lines were much shorter in the Unionlater in the day.

"There was no line at all," said Hohyun Son'98, who registered at 2 p.m. "I just got mypacket, signed some loan forms and that was it.