The Other Beanpot

The Vent

By W. STEPHEN Venable

I've been won over.

The Harvard women's hockey team has at least one more fan after last night's thrilling victory in the opening round of the 17th Annual Women's Beanpot.

In front of an intimate crowd at the Bright Hockey Center the Crimson outlasted Boston College, 3-2, and advanced to next Tuesday's final.

For those of you unfamiliar with women's hockey, it is a much purer game than the one played by the men. There is less checking and contact, which reduces the number of penalties and play stoppages.

This allows for more continuity in the game, as well as cleaner puckhandling and passing.

The players are concerned with actually putting the puck in the net rather than crushing the opponent against the boards.

Yeah, this brand of hockey may take away from the violent nature associated with the sport, but it brings with it more artistry and makes it easier to follow.

It is also a game at which Harvard is doing quite well. The win raised the Crimson record to 10-7-1 on the season, with an even better forecast for the coming years.

This year's squad features only three seniors, and is led in large part by a sensational group of sophomores and juniors.

Additionally, this is Harvard's first year with a full-time coach, Katey Stone. As a full-time coach Stone will be able to concentrate on recruiting and add depth to the relatively thin Harvard roster.

Enough about the future, though; there is still a season and a Beanpot to finish this year. In next Tuesday's Beanpot final, Harvard will face Northeastern, who was a 24-0 winner over Boston University.

The Northeastern-B.U. game was so bad the Zamboni driver only had to clean the half of the ice where the Huskies shot.

A defense and plea must be made for B.U., though. Their team is only on a club level and was thrilled just to be back competing in the Beanpot after a hiatus of several years.

It seems the B.U. athletic department might take a look at the success of its own men's team and have the desire to properly fund the women's program and build a winning squad of its own.

But the story this night was not the first game's rout. It was Harvard's night, a night in which there were many heroes for the Crimson.

There was senior goalie Erin Villiotte, who has rewritten the Harvard record books in her four years here, shutting down the Eagles all night. Except for the 20 second span in which new line changes cost the Crimson two goals, she played splendidly, turning away shot after shot.

There were the sisters Mleczko, sophomore A.J. and co-captain Winkie. The two of them repeatedly baffled the Eagle defenders, while also stopping B.C. threats on the other end of the ice.

The younger Mleczko scored what turned out to be the game-clinching goal and added two assists to the effort. Her older sibling also racked up two assists on the night.

And lastly, among others, there was sophomore Christa Calagione, who moved back from her usual for-ward position to help out on defense throughout the night. Caligione also lifted the puck past the Eagle goalie to give the Crimson its first goal of the night.

Now there is a Beanpot Final to go to, and you don't have to ride the T to get there. Heck, you don't even have to have a ticket.

Next Tuesday, let's bring the band, let's fill up section 12 at Bring, let's bring the cowbell and let's help the Crimson bring the Beanpot home.