Council Sponsors Dating Service

By Valerie J. Macmillan

Looking for your true love this Valentine Season?

The Undergraduate Council might be able to help you out.

The council is sponsoring a matchmaking service this month. Students answer multiple-choice questions on topics ranging from stands on abortion to the importance of laughter, said council member Jinesh N. Shah '98, who is organizing the service.

Participants then receive a list of the 15 Harvard students with whom they are most compatible, Shah added.

"We're not trying to trivialize dating," Shah said. "It's just fun."

The fee for playing the council's dating game is one dollar, council member Albert S. Lee '98 said.

Students who play the game will answer several compatability questions.

Among the queries posed are: "Presently, my primary concerns include: 1. suffering and world peace; 2. political and economic situation of U.S.; 3. my grades; 4. the best party next weekend."

Another test of compatibility is: "How do you feel about little kids? 1. Like them; 2. Can't stand them; 3. Depends on the kid."

Members of the council said in interviews yesterday that this event is not a fundraiser but a service to students.

"Basically, the [council] wanted to do a service for Valentine's Day," Lee said.

"It's a lot of fun, and it's interesting to see who you're compatible with," he added.

All upper class students will receive the forms in their mailboxes.

First-year students should have the form door dropped sometime this week, according to newly-elected council President Joshua D. Liston '95.

Forms are to be turned in by Valentine's Day to collection boxes in dining halls.

The council has two separate pools: One is for students interested in dates of the same sex, and the other is for students wanting to be matched up with people of the opposite sex, Shah said.

Data Match, a company specializing in compatibility surveys, will process the forms and lists of "compatibility ratings" which will be available on the February 22, said Shah.

Post-Valentine's Dance

The dollar fee will cover the costs of the data processing and a Post Valentine's Day dance tentatively scheduled for February 25, Shah said.

"In conjunction with [the compatibility surveys], we're going to have a special dance," said Jonathan P. Feeney '97, co-chair of the council's campus life committee.

"Hopefully, all the people who filled out the survey will come to the dance, meet up and have some fun," Feeney added.