Creativity Emerges in City Day Care

Cambridge Kids Paint Mayor, Win Awards in Art Program

By C.r. Mcfadden

Under the watchful eye of their teacher, a dozen youngsters sitting at small tables in the basement of the Cambridge Community Center busily trace lines, cut patterns and draw new figures.

With the help of Jameel Parker, the center's art programs coordinator, the children have received numerous awards and honors for their artwork in contests all over Cambridge.

"It's been a lot of fun," says Parker, who has worked at the center since 1992. "In the summer, all we do is art. During the school year, it's taught as part of the larger after-school program."

The community center provides after-school and summer day care for about 80 Cambridge youngsters. The children spend their time there finishing homework, playing sports and doing artwork.

Parker and his eager students have worked on several large murals, including portraits of Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 and civil rights leader Malcolm X.

The projects, which have been entered in the school district's Black History Art Contest, won first place awards in 1993 and 1994. Their posters have also been displayed at city hall as part of Cambridge's Diversity Day celebrations.

"The kids love the publicity. They just go crazy," Parker says. "They have friends, teachers and relatives who will all be watching."

About 30 children between the ages of seven and 12 participate in the program. Many of them are from low-income families with little artistic experience, Parker says.

They begin gaining basic art skills by drawing in coloring books and watching Parker work with the older kids in the program.

"I like to use the apprenticeship program,"he says. "It all starts off with contour drawing--just lines. Then the artistic expression begins."

"Once you have the basic skills, you can do whatever you want," he says.

Many of the murals are reproductions of pictures that Parker has gathered over the years, including the time he spent as a student at the Tufts Museum School of Fine Arts.

After identifying a suitable picture, Parkercopies it onto an overhead projector and explainsto the children the piece's contour and form. Thestudents trace the patterns onto a fiberglass orwooden billboard which often is larger than 200square feet. Then they begin painting, he says.

"We like doing big projects. Altogether, wespend about six weeks on a single project," saysParker, who is also a full time art teacher in theCambridge public schools. "Then we find places todisplay it."

Although Parker says he sometimes hasdifficulties keeping the children focused on theirwork--especially after a long day at school--hisstudents lavish him with praise.

"He never gets mad," says Curtis, 11. "He justhelps out and teaches me things."

Leroy, 11, agrees. "I never thought I wouldlike art, but it's fun."

According to Dawn Swan, executive director ofthe community center, nearly 90 percent of thechildren are "of color," including a large numberof Black Americans and those of Caribbean andSouth American descent.

Parker says the center's staff works both tohelp students reach their fullest potential andalso to provide an environment where the childrenwill feel comfortable while they wait for theirparents after school.

"What I like most about this place is that youdon't have the patronizing of minority kids likeat some other places," he says. "We've set highstandards they can reach for."

The community center, located on Howard andCalender Streets in Cambridge's Riversideneighborhood, was founded in 1929 inside anabandoned church. It is funded by the United Way,the city of Cambridge and private grants, Swansays.

"We're thrilled to have Jameel with us," shesays. "I like to think this building is the heartof Cambridge.