Shuttles May Not Run This Weekend

Final Decision to Be Made Tomorrow

By Sarah J. Schaffer

The late night weekend shuttle service from Boston to Harvard approved last week by the Under-graduate Council may not start until after spring break, according to council member Jason E. Schmitt '98-'97.

The service, which the Council had originally planned to start on Friday, may be delayed due to contract negotiations, Schmitt said yesterday.

But Schmitt said a definite date for the start of the service cannot be finalized until tomorrow when he is likely to speak with representatives from the two companies who have submitted bids to run the service.

"I just wanted to get this out so no one is standing in Kenmore Square this weekend asking, `Where's the bus?" Schmitt said.

Schmitt said the company that runs the Harvard shuttle busses has made a lower bid than Crystal Transport's $2,100. Harvard bid between $1,140 and $1,420. Schmitt said he is meeting this week with Crystal Transport representatives to see if they will offer a counter-bid.

"We are going to go with the Harvard shuttles unless Crystal gives us a better counter offer," Schmitt said.

Crystal Transport provides a similar service to Brandeis College, and its busses hold about 40 passengers--10 more than the Harvard company's vehicles can carry.

No matter which company the council chooses, the next two weeks will be devoted to working out details such as choosing specific pick-up spots and collecting data on potential passengers, according to Schmitt.

Such information about how many undergraduates and graduate students ride the shuttles could be useful in asking for support of the shuttle proposal next year from the College and several graduate schools. The Harvard company has offered to gather the data for the shuttle proposal next year, he added.

In an interview this week, however, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said that he does not see the College subsidizing the service in the future.

"I have other things that... would be higher on my priority list," Jewett said.

The proposed Boston pickup site is KenmoreSquare, but additional spots could includeBrighton St. or Boylston St., Schmitt said. And upto two more Harvard drop-off sites could be addedto the current Quad, Yard and Quincy Houselocations.

Also, the proposed 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30 a.m.pickup times could be changed to 12:30, 1:15, 2and 2:45 a.m., Schmitt added