M. Golf First, W. Third at H-Y-P's

By Jonathan Finer

While the attention of the golf world was focused clearly on Augusta, Georgia and the Masters golf tournament, both the Harvard men's and women's golf teams were also in action late last week.

Both teams began the weekend early, travelling to Princeton on Thursday, for showdowns with Princeton and Yale.

The men's team swept the competition, finishing first by one stroke over Princeton and two over Yale. Leading the Crimson's charge was sophomore Luis Sanchez, who finished second individually with a six-over par 77, and junior Joel Radtke and senior Jack Wylie, who each shot 78.

Medal honors for this Ivy League matchup went to Princeton's Jerry Jong, who blew away the rest of the field with a one-over 73, but it was the Crimson that carried the day.

The Harvard women's team finished third, but it was nearly edged out Yale for second place. The Crimson fell to the Elis by two strokes, but it was Princeton who reigned supreme, finishing 28 strokes ahead of Yale to take the team title.

The Crimson was led by freshman Suzanne Ranere and sophomore Megan Murray, who shot 86 and 87, respectively. The Tigers' Mary Moan led the pack with a blistering 76.

The women then headed north to Simsbury, Connecticut, to tee off in the Hartford Holiday Inn Invitational last Friday. Nine schools were represented at the tournament, including Amherst, Boston College, Hartford, Mt. Holyoke, Princeton, Rutgers and St. Francis.

Once again, the Princeton women proved to be too much to handle for the rest of the field, as they took home the team title with a score of 315.

Harvard finished in a respectable fifth place, scoring 367.

While the Tigers' Laura Gilmore took home medalist honors, with a three-over par 76, sophomore Alexis Boyle led the Crimson, firing an 86, good enough to tie for tenth place overall, and Ranere shot an 87 to tie for thirteenth.

The second day of the competition was wiped out due to inclement weather.

Both golf squads have postseason tournaments on the Horizon, with the men heading Bethpage, N.Y. for the Ivy League Championships April 14-15, and the women travelling to Amherst, Mass., for the Northeast championships April 22-23.