Jagr Leads Pens Past Capitals

Red-Hot Wings Shoot Stars; Blues Outgun Jets; Bolts Win

Penguins 3, Capitals 1

PITTSBURGH--Jaromir Jagr had a goal and two assists to lead the Pittsburgh Penguins to a 3-1 victory over the Washington Capitals last night.

Jagr and Luc Robitaille scored in the second period as the Penguins won for the second consecutive night to move within two points of the first-place Quebec Nordiques in the Northeast Division.

Jagr had his 19th multiple-point game of the season and raised his team-leading goal total to 27. He scored at 6:01 of the second, skating out from behind the net when he failed to find a passing option. Jagr moved to the base of the right circle and surprised Jim Carey with a shot high on the short side.

Robitaille scored on a power play at 19:06 of the second when the Capitals twice failed to clear the puck. It went off the sticks of Peter Bondra and Sylvain Cote before it bounced to John Cullen. The puck deflected off him, then off the shaft of Robitaille's stick and through Carey's legs.

The Capitals scored on their 27th shot against Wendell Young at 10:12 of the third. Bondra beat him on a breakaway for his 23rd goal.

Red Wings 4, Stars 1

DALLAS--Dino Ciccarelli's power-play goal triggered a four-goal second period and the Detroit Red Wings extended their unbeaten streak to nine games with a 4-1 victory over the Dallas Stars.

The Red Wings, winners of four straight and 8-0-1 in their last nine starts, took advantage of rusty Stars goaltender Darcy Wakaluk, getting his first start after missing nine games due to a broken hand.

Paul Coffey, Shawn Burr and Ray Sheppard also had goals in the second period as Detroit scored four times on only nine shots. The four goals were the most allowed by Dallas in any period this season.

Greg Adams scored for Dallas.

Blues 7, Jets 5

ST. LOUIS--Brendan Shanahan, Greg Gilbert and Glenn Anderson all scored in the final 2:12 of the game to give the St. Louis Blues a 7-5 win over the Winnipeg Jets.

Shanahan's goal with 2:12 remaining tied the score 5-5 after Mike Eastwood had put Winnipeg ahead with 7:01 on the clock.

Lightning 5, Islanders 2

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.--Rob Zamuner scored twice, including a shorthanded goal, and J.C. Bergeron stopped 29 shots as Tampa Bay defeated the New York Islanders 5-2.

After a scoreless first period, the game was decided by Tampa Bay's three-goal outburst during the second period.