Dance Will Test Alcohol Policy

By Theresa J. Chung

The beer will flow tonight as Eliot, Kirkland and Winthrop Houses host the first jointly-sponsored house dance since the College administration last month relaxed the official policy on such activities.

Tonight's party will be held in the Eliot House dining hall and will feature "Sam Adams and a couple of kegs," according to Mike H. Lustbader '97, Kirkland House committee social chair.

Both drinks and admission to the party will be free of charge, said John M. Malleis' 96, Eliot House committee co-chair.

Malleis said the Undergraduate Council approved up to $500 last week to pay for half of the dance's expenses; the individual houses will make up the remainder.

Associate Dean of the College Thomas A. Dingman announced a policy change last month allowing houses to serve alcohol at co-spon-sored parties, according to under-graduate council member Bradford E. Miller '97.

Miller, who is a Crimson editor, led the council's effort encouraging the administration to change its alcohol policy.

"[Tonight's dance] is just a small step in improving school spirit," Miller said last night, adding that he thought houses would now be able to host more successful parties.

"I think that in the past there hasn't beenenough people [at house dances]," Miller said. "Ithink three times as many houses could pack thehouse and give it a suitable amount of people."

Miller, who plans to attend tonight's party,said he contacted house committee chairs tellingthem of the policy change almost as soon asDingman's announcement was made. Students beganorganizing for tonight's dance immediately, hesaid.

Under new rules put in place by house mastersalcoholic beverages can be served at multi-houseparties under strict conditions, Malleis said.

House members said yesterday they welcome theinclusion of alcohol, which is "one of the keyelements to having a party," according to WinthropHouse Committee Chair Lisa M. Castaneda '96.

Masters limited the new policy to three housesin hopes of controlling the numbers of studentsattending, Miller said.

The newly established rules restrictadvertising to the domains of each house. Entranceis limited to members of the three houses,although each may bring one invited guest.

The Beverage and Alcohol, Team, commonly knownas the BAT team, will be present to enforce thedrinking age as well as to limit attendance tohouse members and their guests, Malleis said.

Although many of the residents of Eliot,Kirkland and Winthrop Houses are under the age of21, "the drinking age will be strictly enforced,"Castaneda said.

The BAT team will also limit the number ofdrinks students may consume.

"It will be up to [the] discretion [of the BATteam] when to cut someone off," Lustbader said.

Three Harvard police officers will providedsecurity for the party, Malleis said.

"In dealing with University Hall and themasters and senior tutors, it was clear that a BATteam would be necessary to ensure that people whoare drinking are over 21 and that people who enterare house members or guests," he explained.

Members of Kirkland House have affectionatelydubbed the event "The River Rave." Lustbader saidyesterday.

Rising sophomores will not be invited due tospace concerns. Eliot House dining hall officiallyaccommodates approximately 350 people, Malleissaid.

But Castanada says the guest list for the partycurrently exceeds 1000, although she estimatesthat only about 400 will attend.

The house committees did not intend this firsttest of the new alcohol policy to coincide withpre-frosh weekend, Malleis said.

"It's one of the few weekends we can all dowithout interfering with house formals or houseactivities," he said