Orgo Gets More Lab Space and Equipment

By Theresa J. Chung

The Chemistry Department plans to renovate its laboratories in the Science Center this summer, allowing some 600 organic chemistry students more access to lab space and new equipment.

The organic chemistry labs, which have not been renovated since their construction in 1971, are "behind the times," according to James E. Davis, Chemistry head tutor. Renovations include plans for modernization, such as adding new benches and new hoods at every station.

In addition, new instrument rooms will be constructed, expanding research space and allowing students to conduct organic chemistry labs in both fall and spring semesters.

Currently, lack of space forces students in the year-long Chemistry 17 and 27 sequence to conduct their labs in the fall semester while taking Chemistry 17. In these fall labs, stu- labs in the fall semester while takingChemistry 17. In these fall labs, students conductmany chemical reactions that are not actuallytaught in class until second semester, inChemistry 27.

"It was difficult to do labs without coveringthem first in class. Chem 17 students had to learnthe reactions in lab as opposed to class," saidSue Y. Kim '96, co-president of the Association ofHarvard-Radcliffe Chemistry students and ateaching fellow for Chemistry 17 last semester.

Eric G. Sheu '98, a student in Chemistry 17last semester, said the current lab situationneeds improvement.

"The workload in the course is really high, andwe essentially did labs without coveringconcepts," he said.

Next year, students will conduct their labs inthe spring semester during Chemistry 27. This will"prevent crowding in labs and spread out theworkload" for organic chemistry students, Davissaid. Demolition begins May 15th, and renovationswill be completed in time for fall semester, headded