Law Students Like Career, Not Money

What motivates college students to go to law school? Money? Prestige? Or could it be that they're just plain interested in the American legal system?

In a recent survey of future law school students conducted by Kaplan Educational Centers, 38 percent of respondents said they are attracted to the legal profession by a long-term interest in law; eight percent cited financial rewards; and a mere two percent said they are drawn by the prestige.

But when asked what attracts other applicants, 62 percent hold cynical views about their peers: They say others are in it for the money.

In their first year out of law school, respondents said they expect a salary of up to $60,000; within three years out, they anticipate that their salary will fall in the range of $60,000 to $80,000.

Kaplan surveyed a nationwide sample of its students preparing for the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) on salary expectations and their views of the legal profession.

The survey also revealed that students see some drawbacks to a legal career. Twenty six percent of respondents say the most unappealing characteristic of a career in law is a competitive job market, while 24 percent cite long hours. Other drawbacks include the poor image of lawyers and the tedium of legal work, respondents said.

Other findings included the following:

. Forty-four percent of respondents would defend a client if they knew he or she were guilty.

. Sixty-one percent of the respondents said the public image of lawyers is worse than it was five years ago.

. Sixty-two percent said the earning potential of lawyers is less.

. Fifty-four percent of respondents said they plan to pay for law school through loans.

. Respondents rank academic reputation as the most important quality in a law school.