The Salient Is For Sale

TO THE EDITORS

I was touched, frankly, to see that Daniel Altman wants to promote our cause by (mis) quoting in the April 22 Dartboard the text of part of the newest Salient subscription promotion. Since The Crimson so enjoys giving us free publicity, I'll repeat the details of both offers: For $20, graduating seniors can have the Salient mailed to their future addresses. Also for $20, as Altman cites, Harvard undergraduates can have a year of the Salient hand-delivered to their rooms before the biweekly circulation meetings, plus a personalized birthday card.

Those of you reading this letter fit one of two descriptions: perhaps you are in Lamont or Hilles, biding your time until today's Globe is available, still savvy enough not to pay for the same mediocre news coverage you can get for free. Or perhaps you were stupid enough to pay $59 for this paper, and lucky enough that circulation deigned to deliver today's edition. The former should recognize a good deal when you see one; perhaps even the latter will recognize that $20 is less than $59, and spend the difference on more worthy pursuits.

On second thought, speaking of worthy pursuits, my time is worth something. And with all this free publicity, especially since everybody reads The Crimson (including all 350 of you subscribers), the rate will be $40 (still less than $59) before you know it. Just cut out (or better yet photocopy) this letter, and send it with your payment to P.O. Box 381053; Cambridge, MA 02238. Act now while supplies last. Matt Bruce '96   Editor, THS