Back To Base-ics

Garfield

By Ethan G. Drogin

In case you've been living under a rock for the past year, Major League Baseball is in trouble.

Players, management and fans alike have acknowledged that baseball is a sport in rapid decline.

The younger generations would more readily play pick-up basketball than sandlot baseball.

And stickball--once a staple of urban athletics--is a thing of the past.

Attendance is down dramatically--Milwaukee drew a paltry 20,568 fans for its home opener.

The recent backlash against the strike only highlights baseball's decline over the last decade.

In order to resurrect our National Pastime, the "Lords of Baseball" should consider the following proposals:

1) Improve Marketing.

Major League baseball is teeming with young talent, perhaps now more than at any point in the last twenty years.

Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Piazza and Frank Thomas should be marketed as Larry, Magic and Michael were in the late '80's by the NBA.

The NBA has captured fans with catchy slogans such as "The NBA--It's Fan-tastic" and "I Love This Game."

Baseball should do the same.

2) Freeze Expansion.

The talent pool in baseball is spread incredibly thin at the present. In last year's abbreviated season, every team in the American League West was under 500.

While expansion would generate revenue for the owners--each new franchise must pay an enormous "initiation" Fee--the overall level of play would continue to decline and turn off fans.

3) Restrict Free Agency.

Limiting free agency would not only afford small market clubs like the Montreal Expos a better chance to compete, but would also contribute to shaping team character.

If baseball is truly interested in the success of organizations like Milwaukee, Seattle and Montreal--both financially and competitively, then restricted free agency seems ideal.

The resulting lack of mobility would manifest itself in improved team identity, thus attracting more fans.

It's always more exciting to follow a team when you know the players. Over the years you develop a relation ship with these players, which gives you a personal stake in the team's success.

4) Serve the Community.

More than any other professional athlete, baseball players are viewed as greedy and self-centered.

In order to re-define this image, baseball should consider a partner ship with the United Way (a la the NFL) or other nationally recognized service programs.

The Red Sox, for example, should more widely promote the charity of Major Leaguers like Mo Vaughn, as the Celtics did with the Reggie Lewis Turkey Giveaway.

Serving the community encourages good will on all sides, and could only influence the game in a positive manner.

5) Exemplify Sportsmanship.

Of all these proposals, this is the most problematic although potentially the most rewarding.

Charging the mound and intentionally hitting batters should draw heavy fines and possible suspensions. Such behavior is immature and detracts from the fan's enjoyment of the game.

If our National Pastime is to survive, owners and players must take action together to improve these weaknesses and reacquaint the American public with the beauty of baseball.