Specter Faults Religious Right for Dividing Republican Party

By Todd F. Braunstein

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), a candidate for the Republican nomination for president, took a tough stance against violence and branded the religious right a divisive influence in a speech last night in front of 175 people at the Kennedy School.

Specter, who chairs the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, attributed the recent bombing in Oklahoma City to a "pattern of violence that exists in America today" and discussed some of the means the Senate is considering to respond to terrorist acts.

In particular, he said it might not be unconstitutional for the government to investigate a crime without there first being a clear indication of the crime having taken place.

The senator also expressed concern over the widespread dissemination of information about how to commit acts of terror. He cited Mayben manuals, which he said outline how to make bombs, and Internet postings which he said describe how to recreate the Oklahoma tragedy.

"Is it an idea that is being transmitted, or [something dangerous to national security]?" Specter asked. "There are limits on freedom of speech. You can't cry fire in a crowded theater, and we're going to have to examine these Mayben manuals to see [if there's a difference]."

In the second half of his speech, Specter discussed the role of the religious right in the Republican party, particularly the influence of former presidential candidates Patrick Buchanan and the Rev. Pat Robertson.

Specter attacked the extreme right wing of the party for attempting to infringe upon America's historical separation between church and state and for trying to abolish religious freedom.

He cited a pro-Buchanan banner he saw at the 1992 Republican National Convention: "A vote for my candidate is a vote for God."

"That's out of line," Specter said. "That is really sacreligious."

Specter alluded to a pair of recent killings at abortion clinics in Brookline and decried the growing level of violence among the religious right.

"Today, we have our work cut out for us in terms of...speaking out against the voice of hatred and violence," Specter said when discussing the history of religious freedom.

Q&A

The presidential candidate fielded several questions from the audience about his pro-choice stance on abortion.

Specter defended himself by pointing to relevant Supreme Court decisions, including Roe v. Wade.

"They are a statement of the right of a woman to choose," Specter said. "They are a statement for what due process of law means." ,

The senator was also asked about his aggressivequestioning of Anita Hill, who testified beforethe Senate in 1991 that Supreme Court nomineeClarence Thomas had sexually harassed her.

"I say candidly that it was a learningexperience for me and a learning experience forthe country," said Specter, adding that he had "noidea" at the time of how painful or widespreadsexual harassment was.

Specter also emphasized the strength of hisrecord on issues like abortion rights and women'shealth.

"The issue of the Hill-Thomas hearings will beokay once the people of America know as much aboutmy record as do the people of Pennsylvania,"Specter said, noting that he had been re-electedto the Senate just a year after the hearings.

Finally, Specter, who is Jewish, discussedwhether his religion should be a factor. Herepeated his frequent assertion that if Americaisn't ready for a Jewish president and shouldn'tbe ready for a Jewish president, "I say damn thetorpedoes, full speed ahead. I'm going to try."

Short Protest

Two College groups--the Harvard Republican Cluband the Harvard Radcliffe Alliance forLife--briefly displayed two banners, during thespeech, both expressing opposition to abortionrights.

The first banner read, "America Votes Pro-Life'94-'96," while the second one read "Lincoln'sParty Will Never Abandon the Unborn."

Kennedy School security guards removed thebanners about two minutes later.

Mark J. Barker '95, who said he waseditor-in-chief of Peninsula, asked Specterabout the hypocrisy of defending free speech whilenot allowing a peaceful protest.

Kennedy School Dean and Provost AlbertCarnesale, who introduced Specter, interjected.

"I'll take responsibility," Carnesale said. "Wealso don't have advertisements for gas stations.

Short Protest