Arrest Follows Fight at Phoenix

Man Accused of Assualting Student With Pool Cue in Club

By Sarah E. Scrogin

Two members of the Phoenix final club were involved early Saturday morning in an altercation with a visitor who struck club member Spencer T. Fung '95 with a pool cue, according to police reports.

The suspect, who was later identified as John T. Knudsen, was placed under arrest for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon--the pool cue.

Neither Fung nor Seung-Bom Kim '96, who was also named in the report, would comment yesterday, to Justin M. Sher '96, the club's president.

According to the report, the two had been playing pool in the 72 Mt. Auburn Street club building, when "for some unknown reason" Knudsen allegedly struck Fung on the left arm with a pool cue, breaking the cue.

Knudsen, who is not a member of the club and who claimed to be the guest of an unidentified member, was asked to leave the club after revealing to another member that he had struck Fung.

The incident has caused the club to rethink its policy on guests, Sher said yesterday.

"We're not going to take any action [against Knudsen],"Sher said. "The only actions that we're going to take is to remind members who are around the club to [tell] members to keep track of their guests."

Sher said because the incident occurred very late at night after many of the club members had gone home, none of the members present were certain who had admitted Knudsen to the club.

Sher said club members told him that Knudsen was visibly intoxicated, but that he was certain Knudsen had not obtained any alcohol at the Phoenix.

"From what I have heard, he was very drunk," Sher said. "I don't know about any one who was giving him any alcohol at the Phoenix."

Ordinarily, visitors to the club are not admitted unless they are accompanied by a club member or are well known to the member answering the door, Sher said.

Police arrested Knudsen after learning he hadallegedly struck Fund and had only become involvedin the altercation after being asked to leave theclub, according to police reports.

Police said Knudsen was "uncooperative" afterrequesting medical treatment for the scrapes andbruises he received in the altercation.

Knudsen reportedly would not allow emergencymedical technicians to examine him and screamedand sang loudly in the police booking area