Students to Speak at Graduation

By Marios V. Broustas

Three out of 56 students were chosen by a panel of faculty members to deliver the traditional orations before their class at Harvard's 359th Commencement.

Stephen E. Frank '95, former editorial chair of The Crimson, was chosen to deliver the undergraduate English oration. G. Brent McGuire '95, also a Crimson editor, will deliver the Latin oration. And John S. Gardner '84, who will be graduating from the Law School, will give the graduate oration in English.

"I was overwhelmed," said Frank, whose speech is entitled "A life of Learning."

"The message that I'm delivering is one that I really believe in," he said. "Learning isn't something that ends when you graduate...learning is a way of life."

McGuire said that he, too, was honored to be chosen as a student commencement speaker.

"I was thrilled. It's the opportunity of a lifetime," McGuire said of the chance to deliver his speech, "In Defense of a Harvard Education."

McGuire, an economics concentrator and a former Senior Council Member of the Peninsula, began studying Latin just last year and is currently taking his sixth course in the language.

He said he decided to audition for the Latin oration rather than the English because the Latin seems to be more in line with tradition.

"It seems more traditional, and I appreciate tradition," he said.

But McGuire said he was also motivated by the lack of challengers for the Latin oration--there were four others--and the comfort of knowing that few in the audience will understand entirely what he says.

"When you make a mistake in the Latin oration, fewer people know it," said McGuire. "I [also] understand you have a better shot at the Latin...and the Latin oration surprisingly enough gives you a little more freedom in terms of humor."

Reached at his home last night, Gardner, who is a non-resident prelaw tutor for Lowell House, declined to comment.

"I am very happy that we selected who we did," said Bonnie Raphael, a vocal coach and voice teacher for the American Repertory Theater who sat on the selection committee. "I think the content of their presentations will be challenging and interesting to the audience.

"[All] three are very different from one another and they each have an ethos and a persona that is very unique," Raphael added.

Printed copies of the roughly five minutespeeches were given to the committee on April 21,the selection panel then auditioned all 56students. The field was then paired down to fivefinalists for the undergraduate oration, fourgraduate finalists and two Latin finalists. Thefinalists were heard today and after an hour-longdeliberation by the selection committee.

Raphael, Marius, Plummer Professor of ChristianMorals the Rev. Peter J. Gomes, Professor of Greekand Latin Richard F. Thomas, Quincy House MasterDr. Michael Shinagal, University Marshall RichardHunt and Expository Writing Director Nancy L.Sommers sat on the selection committee