Myers Decides to Step Down from City Council

By Jeffrey N. Gell

As expected, city councillor Jonathan S. Myers announced last week that he will not seek re-election this fall.

In a statement released last Thursday, Myers said he hopes to be able to spend more time with his family and to develop job training programs.

"I think it's generally recognized now that the training of our workforce is something which is of significant interest," Myers said in an interview last night. "It's also an area that I have experience in and am committed to."

Since rent control was defeated by the voters last November, observers say Myers, a Cambridgeport resident endorsed by the Cambridge Civil Association (CCA), has been less active in city politics.

Formerly an outspoken defender of tenants' rights, the three-term councillor has sponsored almost no ordinances and has rarely participated in council discussions since January.

Myers said he has used the last several months as a period to "separate things out."

"I positively considered where I was at personally, what things were of real interest and value in my life," Myers said. "The time that I've spent in the recent period has been a time of value to me."

And Myers said family concerns, not the outcome on the rent control issue, influenced his decision not to seek re-election.

"The issues have much more to do with where I want to be looking," Myers said.

Recently, some have criticized Myers for his actions to prevent the construction of a Stop and Stop grocery store on Memorial Drive because of his fears of traffic congestion.

"For Myers' sake, it's probably good [that he is stepping down]," said David L. K. Trumbull, chair of the Cambridge Republican City Committee.

"If the city council lived up to what they stand for, we'd still have a Robert J. LaTremouille, who hosts a weekly local television program.

Myers' decision not to seek reelection opens the door to new candidates unburdened by the legacy of rent control. Still, candidates may be seeking office in response to Myers service there.

Jonathan T. Spampinato said he is running this fall for the city council primarily because of Myers' decision on the Stop and Shop issue.

"I think that's a very specific issue that's a symptom of a city council that is ignoring the basic needs of the communities," Spampinato said.

Myers called the Stop and Shop issue one with "a lot more complexity than just saying yes or no."

"To say that one person influenced the outcomeon this issue really speaks for itself," Myerssaid. "I don't think I can take any greaterpersonal responsibility in that than any of 40other people.

Despite the criticism of some, Dick Clarey, oneof the CCA's two vice presidents, called Myers "avery faithful, good government councillor.

"Jonathan was always a person of greatintegrity and courage," Clarey said. "If he sawwrongdoing, he would speak out on it."

Speculation

With Myers out of the running, pundits aretrying to predict the impact on this fall's citycouncil race.

Vice Mayor Sheila T. Russell and Clarey saidMyers' exit means it is likely that current schoolcommittee member Henrietta Davis will earn a seaton the council, as she is the most prominent CCAnon-incumbent candidate..

And Alan Steinert Jr. '58, chair of thecandidate selection committee for the Alliance forChange, said Myers' resignation may help to endthe control of the CCA over local politics.

But city councillor Francis H. Duehey' 55 saidit is too early to tell how Myers' decision willaffect campaign.

"He's an incumbent city councillor, and havinghim not run means there's a seat to be filled,"Duhay said. "I think that until we get fullknowledge of the entire slate of city councilcandidates, it's very hard to know how hard thatmakes it.

Speculation