City Council Discusses Execution

Philadelphia Trial, Sexual Assault Subjects of Resolutions

By Edward A. Villavicencio

The Cambridge City Council held its last meeting of the summer last night, beginning with a 4 p.m. hearing on traffic and safety issues, and addressing issues ranging from an upcoming execution in Pennsylvania to today's `Night Out Against Crime' at Rindge Field in Cambridge.

The public discussion focused on the current status of Black journalist and community activist Mumia Abu-Jabal's execution date. Abu-Jamal faces the death penalty for killing a white Philadelphia police officer in 1981.

The council was considering passing a resolution calling for a stay of execution for Abu-Jamal and demanding that a new and fair trial be held for him.

"There have been so many problems with this trial," explained Matthew King, a member of the National People's Campaign (NPC). "I came here tonight to make sure that this injustice is not carried out."

King, fellow NPC member Miranglea Buggs and two other Cambridge residents voiced their opinions in favor of the proposal after a member of the Cambridge police spoke against the resolution.

There has also been controversy concerning the ability of the trial judge, Abert Sabo, to remain unbiased and objective.

According to the resolution, the council was concerned that the judge allowed a juror to be seated who had previously admitted his bias against Abu-Jumal. Sabo had also allegedly facilitated the selection of a jury which did not include any Black members.

"You know something's wrong when a judge comes out of retirement just to serve on a case," said Buggs. "Even the lawyers have asked him to step down!"

Also during the meeting, Councillor Katherine Triantafillou sponsored two resolutions dealing with violence against women, one focusing on domestic violence and the other on sexual assaults in the community. The resolutions called for "trimming of trees so that street lights are more visible," and "modification of existing building and/or zoning ordinances," to make tenants safer.

Two members of the public spoke in favor of the city providing security for the Cambridge Caribbean Carnival, to be held on Saturday, August 12, 1995. If passed, the city would contribute $2,000 to help defray the cost of police details. At press time, the vote had not been taken.

Also on the agenda was a discussion regarding the residency requirement for City employees proposed by the Council's Ordinance Committee on May 18, 1995.