President Continues To Focus On D.C.

By Jonathan N. Axelrod and Todd F. Braunstein

At the start of a new academic year in Cambridge, President Nell L. Rudenstine continues to focus much of his attention on Washington, D.C.

In an interview last Friday, the president said he is keeping close tabs on the progress of key appropriations legislation which threatens to slash student aid and scientific research.

"We try to keep pace day-by-day or at least week-by-week, but since it the situation in Washington changes every day, there is only so much you can do," Rudenstine said.

The president said deep cuts to student aid and basic scientific research which appeared likely several months ago now may pose less of a threat.

"We're still holding fairly steady with some mild improvements in some areas of student aid," he said.

Rudenstine said he was particularly pleased with the increases in funding to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), which translates into money for research. The University receives the majority of its federal funding from the NIH, Vice President of Government, Community and Public Affairs James H. Rowe III '73 said last week.

According to Rudenstine, the House of Representatives raised NIH funding 5.6 percent, while the Senate increased it by 3 percent. Rudenstine said he is hoping for a 4 or 5 percent increase after the bill is returned from conference.

Although this would still be "lower than inflation for those kind of programs," it would make the NIH one of the few such programs to receive any increase at all.

Speaking in his Mass. Hall office, Rudenstine said he plans to visit Washington in about a week to continue the lobbying effort. He will also meet with Senator Alphonse D'Amato (R-N.Y.) during the senator's visit to Harvard today.

But the president stressed that this was just the beginning of a fight that will stretch into the next millennium.

"On balance (there is) pretty good support bearing in mind one, its not over yet...two, its only year one out of seven," Rudenstine said.

Other News

Rudenstine declined to comment on a memo from Phillips Brooks House Association, Inc. (PBHA) which was sent to administrators last week.

The memo urged administrators to convene a group of community and College officials to discuss the search process.

A new assistant dean for public service is expected to be appointed this semester. Although he is paying close attention to the search for a new dean, Rudenstine said he is not getting involved.

"I'm not involved in the search process, and I don't really know exactly where they stand," Rudenstine said. "It's very much a dean looking for an assistant dean, and someone he has to be able to work with closely."

Despite the his lack of direct involvement, the president said he met recently with PBH leaders to discuss their concerns.

Rudenstine also said he was "very pleased" with the resolution of the latest round of union negotiations. All of the University's major unions have concluded negotiations, Rudenstine said.

"It does seem to me that the discussions were very good on both sides," he said. "I think a high level of trust was built up on both sides."

Rudenstine expressed optimism about the one unresolved issue--benefits--that remains from negotiations with Harvard's largest union.

As part of its agreement with the Harvard University of Clerical and Technical Workers, the University established a new standing committee to discuss union members' benefits. The committee will consist of administrators, faculty and union members.

The committee aims to resolve the issue before the administration's original benefits plan begins to take effect this winter.

"One's always concerned, but at least as I see the situation, I have no reason to think that whatever is there can't continue to be worked at and resolved well," Rudenstine said.

"I think the quality of the discussions and the...instruments and groups...that we have available...are now really in quite good shape, so you never want to predict anything here, but it's certainly a good process," he added.

In other news, Rudenstine reported that he will attend the College-wide gala ball to be held on October 7.

All students and members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences have received invitations to the dance

Other News