W. Soccer Shuts Out Maine, 2-0

Crimson Remain Unbeaten, Untied, Unscored Upon

By David S. Griffel

Well, not every team is as bad as Canisius.

With that said, the Harvard women's soccer team still came away with a relatively easy 2-0 victory over the University of Maine at Ohiri Field Saturday afternoon. The game lacked the same offensive explosiveness the Crimson (3-0-0) showed in a 9-0 win over Canisius last Sunday, but the result was definitely never in doubt.

The Black Bears (0-4-0) didn't even penetrate the penalty box until seven-and-a-half minutes had elapsed in the second half, by which time Harvard already had scored its two goals.

"We were just all over them," junior back Meg Kassakian said. "This was the first time we had to stay organized and step up, and it was a good test of how far we have come."

One could say Harvard has come pretty far-the Crimson is still pitching a season-long shutout.

Freshman goaltenders Jennifer Burney and Merideth Bagley have been about as busy as your local Bud Selig fan club. Burney saw just three shots on goal--none of which was well struck--in her 78:30 of play.

Almost every time the Black Bears put on some type of offensive pressure, a Harvard defender would be right there to tackle the ball away. Then, the Crimson was able to set up at will, as the backfield of Kassakian, co-captain Sara Noonan, sophomore Jessica Henderson and freshman Jaime Chu moved the ball around quickly and effectively.

"We were much better organized today in the back, so we didn't give up those chances,' Harvard coach Tim Wheaton said. "(Maine) was a better team than canisius, and we kept them from getting opportunities." Maine  0 Harvard  2

On the other side of the field, Harvard again started very strongly. The Crimson put on a good deal of pressure for the first 10 minutes and finally broke through 11:47 into the game.

Freshman Naomi Miller worked the ball to sophomore Keren Gudeman down the left side of the field, and down the left side of the field, and Gudeman fed junior Dana Tenser to the right of the goal. Tenser then whacked it past Black Bear goalie Jennifer Terpolilli up high for the score.

The Crimson continued to press, but although the players created good scoring opportunities, they lacked the finishing touch. More often that not, a player would do too much with the ball instead of passing or shooting, the end result being that Harvard would lose the scoring chance.

"Instead of combining, we got the ball and one person just tried to do it herself," Wheaton said." I think it was a little individualistic, but it's very hard [to get a good of offensive flow] on a day like today."

Maine made scoring difficult, too, by playing a defensive shell. It looked almost as if the Black Bears were playing to lose by a respectable score rather than going all out for the win.

Sophomore Lindsay Minkus did manage to double Harvard's advantage and take the team's goal-scoring lead with under four minutes left in the opening period. Sophomore Rachel Chernikoff hustled to a loose ball from about 50 yards out and led Minkus on a breakaway to the Black Bear goal. Terpolilli raced out to cut down the angle, but Minkus screamed it by her into the left portion of the goal.

However, Harvard would not score again. The team seemed to play down a little bit to the opposition in the second half, lacking the intensity it had displayed its first five periods of the year.

Harvard will need to regain that flow today when it faces local rival Holy Cross at Ohiri Field in a 3:30 start. The Crimson took a 4-2 decision last year over the Crusaders in a sloppily-played contest at Worcester.

"We sort of mentally slowed down," Kassakian said. "This year there is no chance of that. We're going to get them good."

Harvard, 2-0at Ohiri FieldMaine  0  0  --  0Harvard  2  0  --